Recently Sony updated its very first Compact smartphone, the Xperia Z1 Compact to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Xperia Z1 got all Lollipop goodies in this update, the only thing that Sony missed out was the complete patch of annoying Stagefright bug. Stagefright has been eating up all Xperia Z1 Compact, and users were pretty disappointed that Sony couldn’t fix this bug in such a major Android update. Now, Sony has finally come up with a complete fix to this bug. The latest update based on the build number 14.6.A.1.216 patches the Stagefright vulnerability. You don’t have to bother about this vulnerability anymore. Since this is a complete new firmware, if you’re going to flash it, it will wipe the root access from your device and you will have to root your device running 14.6.A.1.216 firmware from scratch. If you’re looking for a method to root your Xperia Z1 Compact on this firmware, you may have spotted the right place.
In the following post, you will find a detailed method to install CWM or TWRP recovery and then root your Xperia Z1 Compact on 14.6.A.1.216 firmware. The method explained below will work for both Locked and Unlocked bootloaders. Let’s go ahead and break the jails of your Xperia Z1 Compact now.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z1 Compact D5503
This rooting method is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content. If you haven’t rooted your device previously, skip this step.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
Note: This method will work for both, Locked & Unlocked bootloaders.
How To Root & Install Recovery On Xperia Z1 Compact Android 5.1.1 14.6.A.1.216 Firmware
1. Downgrade to .108 Firmware and Root It
- If you have already updated your smartphone to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, then you have to downgrade your device to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Use this guide to Install .108 firmware.
- Root using this guide.
- Now Install XZ Dual Recovery.
- Now phone is rooted, USB Debugging must be enabled.
- Download latest installer for Xperia Z1 Compact from here. (Z1 Compact-lockeddualrecovery2.8.X-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect phone to PC using OEM date cable and run install.bat.
- It will install the custom recovery.
- Now work here is done. Lets move on to next step.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .216 FTF
- Download 14.6.A.0.216 FTF and place it anywhere on PC.
- Download Z1 Compact-lockeddualrecovery2.8.X-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Now create a pre-rooted firmware using this guide: How To Create Sony Xperia Pre-Rooted Firmware With PRF Creator
- Once the Flashable ROM is created, it will show the successful message.
- Do not touch any other option while creating the pre-rooted firmware.
- Now copy the pre-rooted firmware to the phone’s internal storage.
- Our work in this step is now done. Move on to next step.
Note: If you do not want to create a pre-rooted flashable zip for your phone yourself, then you can download it for your phone’s specific model number and use it in the guide.
3. Root and Install Recovery on Z1 Compact D5503 5.1.1 Lollipop Firmware
- Custom recovery was installed in the first step.
- The pre-rooted firmware was created and copied to phone in next step.
- Now you have to turn off phone.
- Turn it on again and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter custom recovery.
- Click on install and locate the folder where you placed the flashable zip earlier.
- Tap on it and install it.
- Now reboot the phone and find SuperSu in app drawer.
- Install Root Checker from the Play Store to verify root access now.
- Pheww! That’s all. You’re rooted and have the custom recovery installed.
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017