Galaxy Tab S 10.5 one of the lucky Sammy devices that received Android 5.0.2 Lollipop in the very early stages. The update made Galaxy Tab S 10.5 owners pretty happy as it gave them a whole new UI along with a lot of goodies. Samsung has managed to keep the Galaxy Tab S series at the top-of-the-line by updating it to the latest and greatest Android version. Android power users who have updated or who are going to update their device to Android Lollipop, they may want to root it in order to customise the device. Previous methods which helped users to root the device running KitKat may not work with Lollipop. You need a different method now. Before you start looking out for the method, we’ve found it already in order to save some time of yours. In the succeeding guide we will be installing TWRP Recovery 18.104.22.168 and we will also gain root access on our beloved Galaxy Tab S 10.5 on Lollipop.
If you have no idea about TWRP recovery and root access so far, let’s learn about both these things first. TWRP recovery is one of the famous custom recoveries out of the only two available for Android. TWRP will allow you to flash .zip files on your device. Basically it allows the users to load custom stuff on device which includes MODs, tweaks and most importantly custom ROMs. TWRP will also allow you to create and restore Nandroid Backup. You will be able to wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache and a lot more using advanced options. Root access will allow you to install root specific applications and enhance your device performance, battery life and add new features to the software as well.
Following are some precautions and early preparations.
- This guide is only for Galaxy Tab S 10.5, the variants listed below.
- Root & Install TWRP 3.0.x Recovery On Galaxy Tab S 10.5 SM-T800/SM-T805/SM-807 Running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
- Do not try this method on any other smart phone. Doing so will brick your device. Check your device’s model number in settings > system > about device.
- Make sure that your phone is charged at least over 50%.
- Use only original data cable to connect your phone to your PC.
- Backup your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and media content. This is recommended in case something goes wrong, you will still have all of your data safe and secure.
- While using Odin3, turn off Samsung KIES, any Antivirus or Firewalls if active.
- Enable USB debugging on your device. To do so, you need to enable developer options first by going to settings > system > about device > tap build number for 7 times. Once you’ve the developer options enabled under settings > system > developer options > enable USB debugging.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Required Downloads & Installations
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download & extract Odin3 V3.10.6 on your PC.
- Download Root+Recovery.tar file for your device.
How To Root & Install TWRP Recovery On Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Running Android Lollipop
- Put your Galaxy Tab S 10.5 in download mode. To do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power Key. Once it boots up and shows warning, press Volume Up to continue.
- Now open Odin3 v3.10.6.exe file on your PC.
- Click on “AP” tab in Odin and select the TWRP.tar file that you downloaded above.
- Let Odin load the file and connect your phone to your PC in the meanwhile.
- If Aut0-reboot option is unticked in your Odin, tick it. Leave all other options untouched.
- As soon as Odin has detected your phone in download mode, the “ID:COM” box on the top-right corner will turn blue.
- Now click on the Start button. Odin will start flashing the twrp file.
- As soon as the flashing ends, your phone will reboot.
- Now reboot your phone into the TWRP Recovery mode.
- In TWRP Recovery, tap Install > Install Zip > Locate Zip at the bottom of the list > Swipe finger to flash. This will flash SuperSu in your tab. Once done, reboot into system.
- Once your tab has booted up, check out the SuperSu application in the app drawer. If it asks you to update SU binary, update it.
- Also install BusyBox from Play Store.
- Verify root access using Root Checker.
- That’s all. You’re now set to unleash the open source nature of Android.
Just in case you’re facing any difficulties following this procedure or you’re stuck with something, feel free to reach me out in the comment box below. Thank you.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017