Sony’s flagship device Xperia Z, having a waterproof body and an awesome 13.1 MP camera installed behind a 5 inch Full HD display, runs on Android Jelly Bean. The phone was pretty well received by the users back in January, 2013.
While Android is an open source operating system as you all know, there is a number of developments taking place every minute, and the thing i love about Android is you can tweak your device the way you want. Having your device rooted, and installed a custom recovery allows you to play with the device beyond boundaries. For example, you can play with the clock speed of your phone’s processor, install root required apps, improve the battery life of your device and a lot more.
Having installed a custom recovery along the root access is the basic requirement for flashing the zips directly to your device, or install any custom roms. While the device comes with a locked bootloader, there is a little confusion for the people whether they can root it, and install a custom recovery or not. In the following tutorial we will be learning how we can install a custom recovery on the Sony Xperia Z C6602 or C6603 having the bootloader unlocked or locked, while the root tutorial for the phones having locked/unlocked bootloaders can be found HERE.
The installation requires simply running an application having an apk file on your device, please make sure that you are rooted before you begin.
- Go ahead and download the XZRecovery-1.0.apk from HERE.
- Download it directly to your phone, or download it to your PC and transfer it to your phone.
- Access the apk file using a File manager on your device, in case you are prompted to allow unknown sources, check the unknown sources from that pop up or from Settings > Security > Unknown sources.
- You’ve the XZR-Recovery installed now, access the application from the App Drawer.
- You can find the options here to Install/Uninstall or Reboot into the recovery mode.
- Tap the Install recovery, it should take a few seconds to install the recovery and your device will reboot.
- To reboot into the recovery mode now, simply open the app and tap reboot recovery or power off your device, power it on and keep pressing the Volume Up + Volume Down keys simultaneously on the boot until you see the pink led.
- You can Backup your rom, install zip files, wipe your phone completely, restore it to the last running state if backed up properly, and a lot more options are there in the TWRP recovery. Enjoy!
That’s all! In case you got any queries or difficulties, feel free to leave us a comment. Thanks.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017