Its been 2 months now since the Galaxy Gear is out and the some developers have got their hands on the device as well. Recently the guys over XDA-developers managed to get root access on the Galaxy Gear smart watch, and the development doesn’t stop here the device has also got a custom recovery as well and is more customize-able now as the custom recovery will allow you to backup your ROM, restore it, and flash mods / custom ROMs.
As we go ahead, in the following post we’ll be having a look on the method to install TWRP recovery on Galaxy Gear. For this awesome work, the credit has to be given to XDA senior member fOmey, the one who managed to develop the TWRP recovery for Galaxy Gear.
Here are some pre-requisites you must have before moving further:
The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Samsung in our case. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
- Your Galaxy Gear must be rooted. Here’s the guide to root it.
- Make sure that your Galaxy Gear is enough charge to complete the flashing process, say it at least 50%.
- Make sure that you use the original data cable that came along your Gear to establish connection between PC and Gear.
- Follow the guidelines properly to flash the TWRP recovery.
Files you need to download:
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy Gear:
- Put your Galaxy Gear in Download mode. To do so, press and hold the Power key on your Galaxy Gear unless you see ”Rebooting”. As soon as “Rebooting” appears on the screen, quickly press the “Power Key” for 5 times and you should boot into the Recovery mode. Press “Power Key” to select the “Download mode” and then press and hold the “Power Key” for 3 seconds and you should be in the download mode now.
- Now open Odin.exe on your PC.
- Connect your Galaxy Gear to your PC, the ID : COM box should turn blue now.
- Hit the “AP” tab in Odin 3.09 and select the downloaded TWRP recovery file that should be in .tar.md5 format.
- Alright! Hit start now. It should take a while to flash the TWRP recovery in your Galaxy Gear, as soon as it reboots, remove it from your PC.
- Congrats! You’ve successfully installed TWRP recovery. To boot into TWRP recovery follow the method explained in step 1, skip the download mode now.
- Now in TWRP Recovery, Backup your current ROM, Restore, Wipe or Install any Zips!
Want to flash a custom ROM on your Galaxy Gear now ? Check out this post.
That’s all from this post. Do let us know if the guide works perfectly for you. In case of any queries, feel free to stop by the comment box below. Thanks All!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017