MediaPad X2 is Huawei’s 2015 tablet. Huawei flaunted this device with a 7.0-inch screen having a resolution of 1200 x 1290 pixels and 323 ppi pixel density. Huawei equipped MediaPad X2 with Hisilicon Kirin 930 Quad-core CPU clocked at 1.5 GHz, this was accompanied by a Mali-T628 MP4 GPU. Under the hood we have a 2 GB RAM with 16 GB internal storage or 3 GB RAM with 32 GB internal storage. MediaPad X2 has an external mircoSD slot as well which supports up to 128 GB. We saw a 13 MP shooter placed at the back and a 5 MP shooter on the front. MediaPad X2 has a huge 5000 mAh battery, that is good enough to last for days. Overall, Huawei did a great job by putting some top-notch specifications in a tablet which is quite a rare thing.
MediaPad X2 runs on Android 5.0 Lollipop out of the box. Lollipop development has increased up to a very good amount in the past few months, there’s a number of custom stuff that you can do no your Lollipop powered device now. Good news for Huawei MediaPad X2 owners is, they can now easily flash a TWRP recovery and root their MediaPad X2 running Android 5.0 Lollipop. Those of you who do not have an idea about TWRP recovery, they may be interesting in knowing that TWRP is one of the two all-time famous custom recoveries. TWRP allows users to flash zip files, create and restore Nandroid, EFS and other partitions backups. It also allows users to wipe cache and dalvik cache. Now if you can flash TWRP on your device, that means you can root it as well and that’s what we are exactly gonna do.
In the first part of the succeeding guide, we will show you how you can flash TWRP 2.8 recovery on your beloved MediaPad X2. After flashing TWRP recovery we will head towards the 2nd part where we will show you the procedure to flash SuperSu.zip file on your MediaPad X2 and gain root access on it. Let’s go through some pre-installation instructions and then get it done afterwards.
Precautions & Prep
- This guide is intended for MediaPad X2 only. Do not try this method on any other device otherwise you may result in bricking it.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged up to 80% in order to avoid any power issues during the flashing process.
- Backup all of your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and media content to stay on a safe end.
- Use your original data cable to establish connection between your phone and your PC.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries and rooting the device are highly custom. Rooting the device and flashing a custom recover is never recommended by a device manufacturer. In case something goes wrong, TechBeasts or the device manufacturers may not be held responsible. Make sure that you’re doing everything at your own risk.
Required downloads & installations
- Unlock the bootloader of your MediaPad X2 using this guide.
- Download ADB & Fastboot packege with TWRP recovery.img file. Extract this ADB & Fastboot file on your desktop to access its contents.
- Download SuperSu.zip file and copy it to your phone’s internal storage.
How To Install TWRP Recovery on MediaPad X2
Step#1: Make sure that you’ve followed all the steps explained above.
Step#2: Now connect your MediaPad X2 to your PC. If it asks for some permission on the phone, check allow this PC and tap ok.
Step#3: Now open the extracted Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder.
Step#4: Now click on py_cmd.exe file in order to open the command prompt.
Step#5: Enter the following commands in command prompt one by one.
Step#6: adb devices
This command will list the connected adb devices. You can verify whether your device is connected properly or not.
Step#7: adb reboot-bootloader
This command will reboot your MediaPad X2 in bootloader mode.
Step#8: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
This will flash TWRP recovery on your MediaPad X2.
Step#9: As the recovery flashing is over, select recovery from Fastboot mode on your phone. You will now see the TWRP logo on the screen, that means you’ve successfully flashed TWRP recovery.
Step#10: Tap Reboot > System in TWRP recovery in order to reboot your MediaPad X2 now & let’s root it now.
The recovery you just flashed above is not in English language. In order to change the language to English, follow these steps.
- Download TWRP recovery theme folder. It should be a .zip file.
- Now rename the downloaded folder to ui.zip.
- Now open internal storage your phone using a file manager.
- Create a new folder named as “TWRP”. Inside the TWRP folder, create another folder named as “theme”.
- Copy the renamed “ui.zip” file in this theme folder.
- Now boot into TWRP recovery. You will have TWRP in English.
How To Root MediaPad X2
Step#1: Make sure that you’ve copied SuperSu.zip file to your phone. In case you haven’t, do it now.
Step#2: Now boot your phone in to TWRP recovery mode. To do so, turn it off completely first. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key.
Step#3: As you see TWRP recovery, tap “Install > Locate the copied SuperSu.zip file (should be at bottom) > tap this file > Swipe the bar at the bottom of screen to confirm flash”.
Step#4: As soon as SuperSu.zip file is flashed, go back to main menu in TWRP and tap reboot > system.
Step#5: Your device will boot up now. Find SuperSu in app drawer. Install Root Checker app to verify root access.
That’s all. Stuck with something? Don’t worry! Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017