Out of the only two recoveries available for Android, Team Win definitely becomes the choice after seeing the number of features and the ease of use this recovery provides. The recovery is completely touch based, with a very nice and cool UI, it has some additional features that make it the best choice to go with. Earlier, we posted the methods to install TWRP Custom Recovery on some of the Samsung flagship devices, but the recovery has been outdated now, and there also is a number of new firmwares available for the devices now that may require a latest and greatest version of the recovery.
Just in case you’re stuck with applying latest mods, ROMs and other tweaks to your Samsung Galaxy S3 because of an incompatible recovery with the firmware, you may stop worrying about it now as we have the solution right here for you. In the following post we are going to install TWRP Custom recovery on all the variants of Samsung’s past flagship Galaxy S3. All you need to do is, follow this guide carefully.
Before we head towards the installation guide, let’s learn something about the custom recovery first, that is TWRP in our case.
A custom recovery allows you to install custom roms, mods etc. Along with these, you can make a Nandroid backup, this helps you a lot as you can move back to the previous working state of your phone at any time you want if you have backed up your current system. In some cases, to root the phone you need to flash SuperSu.zip file in the custom recovery, having installed the recovery may help you while in some cases to install the recovery easily,You can also wipe cache and dalvik cache of your phone using a custom recovery. There is a number of other options available in the custom recoveries that pave way for the device’s tweaking and deal with the problems efficiently.
Here are the pre-installation instructions:
- This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300, I9305. Before installing this, make sure that your device is listed below. Check your device’s model number in Settings > More > About Device.
- Download the file carefully for your device.
- Make sure that your device’s battery is charged over at least 60%. Highly recommended in order to prevent any mishap during the recovery installation process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- It is recommended that you create a Nandroid Backup before proceeding, so that in case something goes wrong with the system, you can immediately restore it to the previous working state.
- Use only OEM data cable to establish connection between your phone and PC. Turn off your Anti Virus and Firewall to prevent any connection issues. Also enable USB debugging mode on your phone if you face connection issues.
- Recovery works well for Galaxy S3 running on all Android versions, no need to worry about the Android version.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. If your device has knox counter on the bootloader, flashing recovery will trip the knox counter and you won’t be able to reset the counter. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Update: Latest TWRP 22.214.171.124 Links Added!
Pre – Requisites:
- Download and Install Samsung USB drivers – Get Here.
- Download and Extract Odin3 v3.09 – Get Here
- Enough confidence to flash a recovery :-)!
Download the TWRP Recovery for Your Device:
- TWRP 126.96.36.199 for Galaxy s3 GT- I9300 International
- TWRP 188.8.131.52 for Galaxy s3 GT- I9305 LTE
- TWRP 184.108.40.206 for Galaxy s3 SCH-I535 Verizon
- TWRP 220.127.116.11 for Galaxy s3 SGH-I747 AT&T
- TWRP 18.104.22.168 for Galaxy s3 SCH-R530 US Cellular
- TWRP 22.214.171.124 for Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 T-Mobile
- TWRP 126.96.36.199 for Galaxy s3 SPH-L710 Sprint
- TWRP 188.8.131.52 for Galaxy S3 Metro PCS
- TWRP 184.108.40.206 for Galaxy s3 SCH-R530 Cricket
- TWRP 220.127.116.11 for Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M Canada
- Please keep in mind that, the device which come with a locked bootloader, like Verizon Galaxy S3, you must unlock the bootloader first and then flash a custom recovery.
How to Install TWRP custom Recovery on your Galaxy S3
- Download the file for your variant carefully.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your phone in download mode, to do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key, you should see a warning now, press Volume Up to continue.
- In case the download mode method doesn’t work for your device, try one of the methods from this guide.
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- The ID:COM box in Odin should turn blue now, that means your phone is connected properly in download mode.
- Click on the “AP” tab in Odin 3.09 and select the downloaded Recovery.tar file.
- In case you’re using Odin 3.07, click on the PDA tab in Odin and select the downloaded Recovery.tar file and let it load.
- Hit start now and sit back, it will take a few seconds to flash the recovery and your device will reboot.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key to access the TWRP 2.7 Recovery that you just installed.
- You can backup your current ROM and do a lot of other things using the options in TWRP Recovery.
- Make sure that you make an EFS backup and save it on your PC as well. Find the option in TWRP 3.0.2.x Recovery.
- That’s All.
How to Root:
- If you want to root your device now, you can download the SuperSu.zip file.
- Place the downloaded file on your phone’s sd card.
- Open TWRP 2.7 and select Install > SuperSu.zip and flash it.
- Reboot your device and find SuperSu in app drawer.
- Congrats! You’re now rooted as well.
That’s All! We hope that you found this guide of much help. In case you got any queries or face any difficulties regarding this guide, don’t hesitate to stop by the comment box below and leave us your message. We will try our best to help you out. Thanks All.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Smile Inc for PC (Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac) - October 24, 2016
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016