When Galaxy S3 gave Samsung a huge breakthrough back in the year 2012, it immediately launched a new series of mini devices. Samsung made Galaxy S3 Mini the very first part of this series and then released the Galaxy S4 Mini and ended it at the S5 Mini. Galaxy S3 Mini boasted a 4.0-inch Super AMOLED display. It had STE U8420 Dual Core 1000 MHz CPU accompanied by Mali-400MP GPU and a 1 GB RAM. Samsung pushed inside a storage of 16 GB. Galaxy S3 Mini ran on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and the only update it received was of the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
That’s how short Galaxy S3 Mini’s software life was. The device is still alive, thanks to custom ROM developers for that. We had a chance to checkout Android 4.4.4 KiKat, Android 5.0.2 and Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and we now have the chance to check out the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on the device. Marshmallow was actually made available for this device earlier as well by means of CyanogenMod 14, but since the death of CyanogenMod, a more prominent and solid ROM based on Marshmallow firmware was what users were looking for. The new LineageOS, which replaced CynaogenMod, has made its way to the Galaxy S3 Mini.
LineageOS 13 is based on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. Its current build for the Galaxy S3 Mini is pretty stable and can be easily kept as a daily driver. The features working without any issue include WiFi, Bluetooth, Calls, Text Messages, Paket Data, Sound, GPS, USB OTG and FM Radio. The only part having issues includes video playback getting hiccups after a while. The screencast feature doesn’t work and the screenshot feature inside the TWRP 18.104.22.168 recovery doesn’t work right. As an avid Android user, these features shouldn’t be a big deal for you. Getting a stable Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow ROM on your too-old Galaxy S3 Mini can give it a whole new life and we are just about to do that.
The instructions listed to install Marshmallow ROM on your Galaxy S3 Mini are easy to understand. Before flashing the ROM, backup every single component of your device, particularly the EFS. Follow the instructions carefully to avoid any mishap during the installation process.
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 3.0.2-1 recovery on your Mini S3.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Install Galaxy S3 Mini Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow LineageOS
- Download lineage-13.0-20170129-UNOFFICIAL-golden.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip file [arm – 6.0/6.0.1] for LineageOS 13.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Locate and select lineage-13.0-xxxxxxx-golden.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Locate and select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Latest Odin 3.12.4/Odin 3.12.5 for Samsung - April 27, 2017
- How to Install TWRP Recovery using Fastboot on Android - April 27, 2017
- How to Sync Contacts with Gmail Account on Android - April 27, 2017