Samsung hasn’t been very good when it comes to Android updates, it rolls out an update when all other manufacturers are already done with updating their flagships to the latest versions of Android. We hope that what we are thinking doesn’t actually turn out to be true this time as well and Samsung shows a little speed by rolling out the Lollipop update for it’s S series flagship device, the Galaxy S5. The device sure is set to receive the update, we’ve already seen previews of Android Lollipop running greatly on the Galaxy S5 by folks over Sammobile, but we are not yet sure about the firmware’s release date, so until then, the Galaxy S5 users will have to hold on a little tighter.
For those who don’t know about Android 5.0 Lollipop, they may want to learn that Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest version of Android after Android 4.4.4 KitKat. Currently, Google’s very own Nexus devices, and some LG & Motorola devices have received this latest firmware while other manufacturers have queued up their devices in the Lollipop list. Some major changes, specifically in the UI department are prominent. Google has introduced a new UI named as Material Design. A new way for the notifications to appear on lockscreen has been introduced. Some bluetooth updates are there. Battery life has been greatly improved in this latest version of Android and the list goes on.
To treat those Galaxy S5 users, who are eagerly waiting for this update, XDA recognized contributor albinoman887 has compiled up an unofficial build of CyanogenMod 12.0 that is based on Android 5.0 Lollipop. So just in case it’s pretty hard for you to wait, you may give this custom Android 5.0 Lollipop a try and sweeten your Galaxy S5. While this is a very early and unofficial build of CyanogenMod 12, a lot of bugs are expected but the developer has managed to make the very basic features working. The ROM is not intended as a daily-dose, you may flash it only if you’re an Android power user and you can deal with the custom ROMs. Newbies are strongly recommended to stay away.
Let’s go through some early preparations and then flash this CyanogenMod 12.0 custom Android 5.0 Lollipop on your LTE Galaxy S5.
1. This Guide Is Only For Galaxy S5 – All LTE (Qualcomm) Variants.
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Flash a Custom Recovery
A custom recovery is required for flashing this ROM. You may use our guide to from here to install a custom recovery on your LTE Galaxy S5.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – You can do this using CWM/TWRP recovery.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. If your device has the Knox counter on the bootloader, it will be tripped and you won’t be able to reset it ever. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Here’s what’s working and what’s not working in this ROM
Internal/External SDcard mounting
Touchscreen in some games….
Lots of CM features you expect are missing at this point. All devs are working on adding all your favorite features of CM back in.
64GB SDcards and/or exfat formatted SDcards are not supported yet
How To Install CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 Lollipop On Galaxy S5
- Download cm-12-20141121-UNOFFICIAL-klte.zip file.
- Download Google Gapps.zip file.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP/CWM recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP/CWM recovery select wipe option and wipe cache, factory data reset, dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card / locate the zip file > Select cm-12-20141121-UNOFFICIAL-klte.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone.
- Once again in recovery select “Install > Choose zip from SD card / locate the file > Gapps.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12.0 running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, so hold on tighter until your device gets ready. Just in case you don’t find this ROM working so great, you may want to restore your Galaxy S5 to stock condition.
If you’ve any queries or you’re stuck with anything regarding this post, please reach us through the comment box below. We will get back to you immediately. Thank you all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to fix Google Chrome performance issues on Mac OS X/MacOS Sierra - January 22, 2017
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017