Sony has updated its flagship device Xperia Z1 to latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with the build number 14.2.A.0.290, the new update has fixed the camera bug upon unlocking the bootloader, there is a number of performance enhancements, some new ringtones, themes are added as well.
In case you don’t know about Sony Xperia Z1 yet, then let’s have a look at the device’s specs and features first. Xperia Z1 flaunts a beautiful 5 inches full HD display with 441 ppi. A 20.7 MP camera sensor is placed at the back, by far the best camera in a smartphone I’ve ever seen. On the front there is a 2 MP camera. Sony has used Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 Quad Core CPU clocked at 2.2 GHz to power up the device, while a RAM of 2 GB is also there and Adreno 33o GPU is set inside. Under the hood a massive 3000 mAh battery is fixed.
While some of you might have updated your device to the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware and now looking out for a way to root your device, you’ll probably end up finding no method, or finding a method that is not easy at all. Rooting Xperia Z1 on latest 14.2.A.0.290 firmware is possible if you have a CWM or TWRP recovery installed in your phone, you just got to flash SuperSu using the recovery. To make it even more easier for you, I’ve explained the method in detail below. But before we head towards the method, let’s have a look on what is a custom recovery [CWM / TWRP] and what are the advantages of having it installed.
A custom recovery allows you to install custom roms, mods etc. Along with these, you can make a Nandroid backup, this helps you a lot as you can move back to the previous working state of your phone at any time you want if you have backed up your current system. In some cases, to root the phone you need to flash SuperSu.zip file in the custom recovery, having installed the recovery may help you while in some casesto install the recovery easily, you need to have the phone rooted. You can also wipe cache and dalvik cache of your phone using a custom recovery.
- This guide is only for Sony Xperia Z1 C6903/2. Do not try this on any other model, please check your device’s mode in Settings > About Device.
- The CWM / TWRP recovery is only for Xperia Z1 C6903/C6902 running latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 14.2.A.0.290 firmware. Check your firmware version in Settings > About Device and make sure that it matches the one mentioned here.
- You must have installed Android ADB & Fastboot drivers. Follow the quick guide here.
- Your device must have an unlocked bootloader. Follow our full guide here in order to unlock.
- Please make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the recovery flashing process.
- Please make sure that you backup all of your important media content, contacts, call logs and important text messages. This is highly recommended so that in case something goes wrong, you can still restore your data.
- Use only OEM data cable to establish connection between your PC and Phone.
- Alright! Follow this guide to the letter now.
Update: The method works fine for Xperia Z1 C6902 as well.
How to Install TWRP / CWM Recovery on Xperia Z1 C6903 and C6902:
Download your desired recovery.img file:
- CWM Recovery for Xperia Z1 C6903/2
- TWRP Recovery for Xperia Z1 C6903/2
- Philz Advance CWM Recovery for Xperia Z1 C6903/2 [Recommended]
- Place the downloaded Recovery.img file in the Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder that you created using our ADB & Fastboot Quick Setup Guide.
- If you are using Android ADB & Fastboot full package, you can place the downloaded Recovery.img file in the Fastboot folder or in the Platform-tools folder.
- Open the folder where you placed the Recovery.img file. E.g Minimal ADB & Fastboot or Fastboot or Platform Tools.
- Press and hold the shift key and right click on an empty area within the folder, and click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Turn off your Xperia Z1 completely.
- Now press the Volume Up Key and while keeping it pressed plug in the USB cable.
- You should see a blue light in the notification light of your phone, that means your device is now connected in Fastboot mode.
- Now type the following command: Fastboot Flash boot Recoveryname.img
- You may rename the recovery.img file for your ease of access and replace it with Recoveryname in the command to flash it.
- Hit Enter and it will quickly flash CWM / TWRP recovery in your Xperia Z1.
- Remove the USB cable now.
- Reboot your device now, as soon as you see the Sony logo, press Volume Up & Down Keys one after another in order to boot into the custom recovery you installed.
- Congrats! You should now see the custom recovery.
How to Root Sony Xperia Z1 C6903 and C6902:
- Download the latest SuperSu.zip file.
- Place the downloaded SuperSu.zip file on your phone’s sd card.
- Boot into CWM / TWRP recovery on your phone.
- Select Install Zip / Install > Choose Zip from SD / Ext Sd card > SuperSu.zip
- Select Yes and let it flash SuperSu.
- As soon as flashing is done, reboot your device.
- Find SuperSu in App drawer.
- Congrats! You’re rooted now.
That’s all. In case you got any queries, face any difficulties regarding this post, please feel free to stop by the comment box below. We will try our best to sort it our for you.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017