Sony’s past flagship device Xperia Z and its siblings Xperia ZL and ZR are currently running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat with the build number 10.5.A.0.230. Since this firmware is quite old now, most of the Xperia Z, ZR and ZL devices must be running this OS. If you own of these devices and you’re willing to go out of the boundaries with this latest firmware, you probably will need root access and a custom recovery but in the recent past, all the methods to root the device or install custom recoveries were pretty much traditional as they required unlocking the bootloader that results in the loss of DRM keys and hence you can’t lock it again, but if get the root access keeping your device’s bootloader locked, you can surely backup the DRM keys in order to lock your phone’s bootloader anytime later and gain the warranty back by having backed up the TA partition.
Well, that seems to be an old story now. Famous developer Geohot’s TowelRoot has made it possible for a number of Xperia devices to get rooted without unlocking the bootloader. This actually is a great news for those who have been waiting patiently and haven’t touched the bootloaders of their devices. For some of the devices, the application works directly, while for some the application has been used a base for the root tools. Using TowelRoot you can root your Sony Xperia Z, ZL, ZR running the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 firmware. As the root is available now, XDA dev [NUT] has also come up his Dual recovery for these devices that works very well keeping the bootloader locked.
[NUT]’s dual recovery packs up CWM and TWRP recovery. Although these recoveries perform the same tasks, but the users have their own liking and pick one up accordingly. Before you fall in any confusions with which recovery to install on your device, it may be cleared out that [NUT]’s recovery installs both CWM and TWRP in your device and you can use the one you like. The CWM is based on Philz Advanced CWM Touch Recovery and is CWM 18.104.22.168 while the TWRP is 2.7. As you move forward, you will find the guide to install this CWM/TWRP recovery on your Sony Xperia Z,ZL and ZR running 10.5.A.0.230 firmware. Let’s go through the compatibility list and then install the recovery.
This CWM/TWRP recovery is compatible with:
- Sony Xperia Z – C6602, C6603, C6606, C6616
- Sony Xperia ZL – C6502, C6503, C6506
- Sony Xperia ZR – C5502, C5503.
- Your device must be running Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 firmware.
- Your device must be rooted, here’s our guide to root Xperia Z, ZR, ZL running .230 firmware.
- Make sure that you’ve install Sony’s USB drivers in order to avoid any connection problems.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the rooting process.
- USB debugging mode must be enabled on your device. To do so, go to Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging mode > Enable. In case you can’t find the developer options, then go to Settings > About Device > Tap Build Number for 7 Times to enable the developer options.
- Use only on OEM data cable to establish connection between your PC and your Phone.
- Allow “Unknown Sources” on your phone. To do so, go to Settings > Security > Unknown Sources > Tick.
How To Install CWM/TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia Z,ZL,ZR 10.5.A.0.230 Firmware [Locked/Unlocked BL]
- Make sure that you’ve rooted your device using the guides linked above.
- Download the XZ/ZL/ZR/-lockeddualrecovery[VERSION]-BETA.installer.zip for your device carefully.
- Extract the downloaded installer.zip file for your phone, you will get install.bat and install.sh files.
- Connect your Xperia device to your PC now.
- Now open Install.bat if you’re using windows, or install.sh if you’re using MAC.
- Once the command prompt opens up, type “1” and press enter.
- The installation will begin and complete in a while automatically, you just need to follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once the recovery is installed, disconnect your phone and turn it off.
- Now turn it on, while you see the Sony logo, press Volume Up key to enter CWM or press Volume Down to enter TWRP.
- That’s all. You’ve install Dual Recovery successfully on your Xperia Z, ZL or ZR running 10.5.A.0.230 firmware.
That’s all. In case you’ve got any queries or you’re stuck with something regarding this post, feel free to stop by comment box and drop your words. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you.