CWM and TWRP, both recoveries are available for the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102, the successor of Samsung’s Galaxy Grand. Installing any of these recoveries is quite useful as it will allow you to perform a number of tasks that the manufacturers apparently do not allow. CWM recovery for the Galaxy Grand 2 is presented by the XDA developer shabbypenguine while TWRP is presented by XDA Senior member baliboxer. If you’ve been looking for a custom recovery for your Galaxy Grand 2, and looking for a way to install a custom recovery, you may have spotted right place at the moment. We are going to install ClockworkMod (CWM) and TWRP recovery on our beloved Galaxy Grand 2 Duos SM-G7102 in the following post.
Before we head towards the installation guide, let’s have a recap at the Galaxy Grand 2 to give you a better idea of this device. Galaxy Grand 2 Duos was brought up by Samsung in November, 2013. The device sports a beautiful 5.25 inches TFT display with 280 ppi. There’s a 1.5 GB RAM packed inside. Powered up with 1.2 GHz Quad Core CPU accompanied by Adreno 305 GPU this device is becomes a good choice. At the back, Samsung has installed an 8 MP shooter while a 1.9 MP shooter is available to take selfies and shoot out secondary videos. The upper paragraph gives you an idea about what we are going to do right now, let’s have a look on how you can unleash the power of your device using a custom recovery.
Why you should install a custom recovery?
A custom recovery allows you to install custom roms, mods etc. Along with these, you can make a Nandroid backup, this helps you a lot as you can move back to the previous working state of your phone at any time you want if you have backed up your current system. In some cases, to root the phone you need to flash SuperSu.zip file in the custom recovery, having installed the recovery may help you while in some cases to install the recovery easily, you need to have the phone rooted. You can also wipe cache and dalvik cache of your phone using a custom recovery.
Here are the pre-installation instructions:
1. This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos SM-G7102!
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up. In that case, we may not be held responsible.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery shouldn’t be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM datacable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
5. Turn off Samsung Kies and other softwares while using Odin3!
Make sure that you turn off Samsung Kies while using Odin3 flashtool. Samsung Kies will interrupt Odin3 and will result in causing errors and may not let you flash your desired recovery or root file. Also, make sure that you turn off any antivirus software you’ve installed and also disable firewall to avoid any connection and flashing issues.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
- Download and extract Odin3 v3.09.
- Download and Install Samsung USB drivers .
- CWM-126.96.36.199-ms103g-Beta.tar Link 2 . for Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102
- twrp_ms013g-build2.tar [ Link 2 ] for Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102
How to Install CWM/TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos SM-G7102:
- Download CWM or TWRP Recovery.tar.md5 file [According to your choice and your device].
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Galaxy Grand 2 Duos in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 hit the AP tab. Select the recovery.tar.md5 or recovery.tar, that you downloaded above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the recovery flashing is complete, as soon as your device restarts, remove it from PC.
- You can now boot into recovery mode by turning off your device, and then turning it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key.
- That’s all!
How to Root Galaxy Grand 2 Duos:
- Download the Root Package.zip file [ UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip ]
- Copy the downloaded Root Package.zip file to your Galaxy Grand 2 Duos’s SD card.
- Boot into recovery mode on your Galaxy Grand 2 Duos, use step 11 in the recovery installation guide.
- Now Select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Root Package.zip > Yes / Confirm”.
- This will flash the Root Package and quickly gain the root access on your Galaxy Grand 2.
- Reboot your device.
- Find SuperSu or SuperUser in the App Drawer.
- That’s All!
How to check if the device is properly rooted or not?
- To do so, go to Google Play Store on your Galaxy Grand 2 Duos.
- Find “Root Checker” and install it.
- Open Root Checker.
- Tap “Verify Root”.
- It will ask you for SuperSu rights, tap “Grant”.
- It should show you Root Access Verified Now!
- That’s All!
If you’re facing any difficulties regarding this post, feel free to stop by the comment box and drop us your words. We will get back to you ASAP!