Samsung recently updated the 3G/SIM+WiFi variant of its popular Galaxy Tab 3 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat. The update is not less then a surprise as Samsung remained quite silent about any further version of Android for the Tab 3, and it suddenly made a direct move from Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean to Android 4.4.2 KitKat. There are bug fixes, performance enhancements, stability has been improved, notification bar has been changed with white icons atop and a lot of UI changes here and there including the lockscreen. A while ago we posted the guide to update the Tab 3 SM-T211 to this latest firmware, just in case you’ve updated your Tab 3 and now you’re looking to go out of the boundaries on your Galaxy Tab 3 running the latest firmware, we’ve compiled up the following guide for you.
We are going to install CWM or TWRP recovery and root the Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. Although both these recoveries are used for the same purpose, but the users have their own liking and may pick one depending upon their own choice. CWM stands for ClockworkMod and is the simple recovery while TWRP stands for Team Win Recovery Project and basically is the Touch Recovery with very user friendly UI. Before we move forward to the installation instructions, it is important to remove any confusions that the newbies/first timers may have. In order to do so, let’s go through a brief introduction of a custom recovery and the root access.
What is a custom recovery and root access?
A custom recovery allows you to install custom roms, mods etc. Along with these, you can make a Nandroid backup, this helps you a lot as you can move back to the previous working state of your phone at any time you want if you have backed up your current system. In some cases, to root the phone you need to flash SuperSu.zip file in the custom recovery, having installed the recovery may help you while in some casesto install the recovery easily, you need to have the phone rooted. You can also wipe cache and dalvik cache of your phone using a custom recovery.
Rooting your phone gives you complete access over all the data which is apparently locked by the manufacturers. This includes removal of the factory restrictions and making changes to the internal system and the operating system. Gaining the root access gives you the privileges to install various applications to enhance the performance of your device, allows you to remove the built-in applications/programs, helps you to upgrade the battery life of your device & install the apps which require the root access for the proper functionality and modify your device in so many other ways e.g using mods and flashing custom recoveries and custom ROMs. Here’s our collection of 10 Best Root Apps.
- This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-T211. Do not try this on any other device.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%.
- Use the original data cable for establishing the connection between your PC and phone.
- Backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important sms messages, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Turn off /disable Samsung Kies while using Odin3.
- Turn of any Anti Virus software while using Odin3.
- Alright. Follow the instructions carefully.
- Download and extract Odin3 v3.09.
- Download and Install Samsung USB drivers .
- CWM 184.108.40.206 Recovery.tar.md5 for Galaxy Tab 3 [Link Updated]
- TWRP Recovery.tar.md5 for Galaxy Tab 3 [Link Updated]
- Root Package[SuperSu.zip] File for Galaxy Tab 3
How to install CWM or TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat:
- Download CWM or TWRP Recovery.tar.md5 file [According to your choice].
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Tab 3 in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your Tab 3 to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 hit the AP tab. Select the recovery.tar.md5, that you downloaded above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the recovery flashing is complete, as soon as your device restarts, remove it from PC.
- You can now boot into recovery mode by turning off your device, and then turning it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key.
- That’s all!
How to Root Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat:
- Copy the downloaded Root Package.zip file to your Tab’s SD card.
- Boot into recovery mode on your Galaxy Tab 3, use step 11 in the recovery installation guide.
- Now Select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Root Package.zip > Yes / Confirm”.
- This will flash the Root Package and quickly gain the root access on your Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211.
- Reboot your device.
- Find SuperSu or SuperUser in the App Drawer.
- That’s All!
How to install busybox now?
- Go to Google Play Store on your phone.
- Search for “Busybox Installter”.
- Once you find it, install it.
- Run the Busybox installer and proceed with the installation.
- That’s all!
How to check if the device is properly rooted or not?
- To do so, go to Google Play Store on your Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211
- Find “Root Checker“ and install it.
- Open Root Checker.
- Tap “Verify Root”.
- It will ask you for SuperSu rights, tap “Grant”.
- It should show you Root Access Verified Now!
- That’s All!
That’s all the credits for the recovery goes to XDA dev gr8nole. In case you’re happy with his work, don’t forget to make him a donation for his hardwork. If you’re facing any difficulties regarding this post, feel free to stop by the comment box and drop us your words. We will get back to you ASAP!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017