Have you updated your Galaxy Mega 6.3 LTE to Android 4.4.2 KitKat official firmware? Well, the update is available now and you may update your device as soon as possible in order to give your device a new and a great life. After you’ve updated your device, you may want to break the barriers on your Galaxy Mega 6.3 LTE. That’s all possible if you have installed a custom recovery and you have got root privileges as well and that’s what we are going a while later.
The ClockworkMod 6 recovery we are going to install on the Galaxy Mega 6.3 LTE is Philz Advanced CWM recovery, that is enhanced version of the original CWM and is presented by famous XDA recognized developer Phil3759. The recovery by philz contains a number of features that you may not find on the ordinary CWM recovery, and most of all, Philz Advanced CWM is a touch recovery. Once installed CWM, we will be flashing SuperSu by Chainfire in order to attain root access on the device. Before we head towards the instructions, let’s have a look on a brief intro to a custom recovery and root access in order to wipe confusions that the newbies / first timers may have.
Introduction to Custom Recovery and Root:
A custom recovery allows you to install custom roms, mods etc. Along with these, you can make a Nandroid backup, this helps you a lot as you can move back to the previous working state of your phone at any time you want if you have backed up your current system. In some cases, to root the phone you need to flash SuperSu.zip file in the custom recovery, having installed the recovery may help you while in some cases to install the recovery easily, you need to have the phone rooted. You can also wipe cache and dalvik cache of your phone using a custom recovery.
Rooting your phone gives you complete access over all the data which is apparently locked by the manufacturers. This includes removal of the factory restrictions and making changes to the internal system and the operating system. Gaining the root access gives you the privileges to install various applications to enhance the performance of your device, allows you to remove the built-in applications/programs, helps you to upgrade the battery life of your device & install the apps which require the root access for the proper functionality and modify your device in so many other ways e.g using mods and flashing custom recoveries and custom ROMs. Here’s our collection of 10 Best Root Apps.
1. This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy Mega LTE I9205!
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up. In that case, we may not be held responsible. Also make sure that your device is running Android 4.4.2 KitKat, although the title says that this is only for Android 4.4.2 KitKat, but this method will work fine on Galaxy Mega 6.3 running any earlier version of Android as well.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery shouldn’t be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM datacable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
5. Turn off Samsung Kies and other softwares while using Odin3!
Make sure that you turn off Samsung Kies while using Odin3 flashtool. Samsung Kies will interrupt Odin3 and will result in causing errors and may not let you flash your desired recovery or root file. Also, make sure that you turn off any antivirus software you’ve installed and also disable firewall to avoid any connection and flashing issues.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
- Download and extract Odin3 v3.09.
- Download and Install Samsung USB drivers .
- philz_touch_6.48.4-meliusltexx.tar.md5 [Recovery] for Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9205
How to Install CWM Recovery And Root Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9205 LTE Running Android 4.4.2 KitKat:
- Download recovery.tar.md5 file for your device.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Galaxy Mega in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 hit the AP tab. Select the recovery.tar.md5 or recovery.tar, that you downloaded above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the recovery flashing is complete, as soon as your device restarts, remove it from PC.
- You can now boot into recovery mode by turning off your device, and then turning it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key.
- That’s all!
How to Root Galaxy Mega I9205 Running Android 4.4.2 KitKat:
- Download the Root Package.zip file [ UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip ]
- Copy the downloaded Root Package.zip file to your Galaxy Mega’s SD card.
- Boot into recovery mode on your Galaxy Mega 6.3, use step 11 in the recovery installation guide.
- Now Select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Root Package.zip > Yes / Confirm”.
- This will flash the Root Package and quickly gain the root access on your Galaxy Mega.
- Reboot your device now.
- Find SuperSu in the App Drawer.
- That’s All!
How to check if the device is properly rooted or not?
- To do so, go to Google Play Store on your Galaxy Mega.
- Find “Root Checker” and install it.
- Open Root Checker.
- Tap “Verify Root”.
- It will ask you for SuperSu rights, tap “Grant”.
- It should show you Root Access Verified Now!
- That’s All!
If you’re facing any difficulties regarding this post, feel free to stop by the comment box and drop us your words. We will get back to you ASAP!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to fix Google Chrome performance issues on Mac OS X/MacOS Sierra - January 22, 2017
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017