Sony recently updated it’s flagship device Xperia Z1 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean as it promised the users to soon take some of it’s devices to higher Android version. Xperia Z1 initially ran on Android 4.2.2 and later received Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update based on build number 14.2.A.0.290. To enchance the performance and fix some minor bugs, Sony rolled out more updates based on Android 4.3 and the latest firmware running on Xperia Z1 is based on build number 14.2.A.1.136 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Earlier we posted a method to root Xperia Z1 on Android 4.3 14.2.A.0.290 firmware and a number of users is still using that firmware as the newest update 14.2.A.1.136 is on a slow roll out and has not reached all the regions yet. For those of you who have updated their device already, might be look for a way to install a custom recovery now and get root access. In case you are failed to find any working custom recovery, you may be at the right spot to get it done now. We’ve found CWM 18.104.22.168 compatible with Xperia Z1 (All Variants) running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 14.2.A.1.136 and in the following post we will be installing it on the device. Let’s move forward and go through the important instructions and installation steps one by one after having a brief intro of a custom recovery just in case some of you are not familiar with it.
A custom recovery allows you to install custom roms, mods etc. Along with these, you can make a Nandroid backup, this helps you a lot as you can move back to the previous working state of your phone at any time you want if you have backed up your current system. In some cases, to root the phone you need to flash SuperSu.zip file in the custom recovery, having installed the recovery may help you while in some cases to install the recovery easily, you need to have the phone rooted. You can also wipe cache and dalvik cache of your phone using a custom recovery. There is alot more you can do using a custom recovery, you may install one and experience it yourself for further know-how.
- This guide is only for Sony Xperia Z1 C6903/2/6943. Do not try this on any other model, please check yourdevice’s mode in Settings > About Device.
- The CWM recovery is only for Xperia Z1 C6903/C6902/C6943 running latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 14.2.A.1.136 firmware. Check your firmware version in Settings > About Device and make sure that it matches the one mentioned here.
- You must have installed Android ADB & Fastboot drivers. Follow the quick guide here.
- Your device must have an unlocked bootloader. Follow our full guide here in order to unlock.
- Please make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the recovery flashing process.
- Backup each and everything on your Android phone as follows:
- Backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important sms messages, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Backup all your apps / data. If you’ve rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to do so. Follow the full guide here.
- Backup your current system using a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) if you’ve flashed one. This is recommended in case something goes wrong with CWM installation, you can use the custom recovery and return to the old working state of your system.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Get it in Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging mode.
- Use only OEM data cable to establish connection between your PC and Phone.
- Alright! Follow this guide to the letter now.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SONY in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How to Install CWM 6 Recovery on Xperia Z1:
- Download Doomlord’s Advanced Stock Kernel with CWM Recovery
- Copy the downloaded.zip file to your phone’s sd card.
- Extract the downloaded .zip folder on your PC, you will get a Boot.img file.
- Place the extracted Boot.img file in the Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder that you created using our ADB & Fastboot Quick Setup Guide.
- If you are using Android ADB & Fastboot full package, you can place the downloaded Recovery.img file in the Fastboot folder or in the Platform-tools folder.
- Open the folder where you placed the Boot.img file. E.g Minimal ADB & Fastbootor Fastboot or Platform Tools.
- Press and hold the shift key and right click on an empty area within the folder, and click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Turn off your Xperia Z1 completely.
- Now press the Volume Up Key and while keeping it pressed plug in the USB cable.
- You should see a blue light in the notification light of your phone, that means your device is now connected in Fastboot mode.
- Now type the following command: Fastboot Flash boot Boot.img
- Hit Enter and it will quickly flash CWM 22.214.171.124 recovery in your Xperia Z1
- Once recovery is flashed, now issue this command “Fastboot Reboot”
- Your device will reboot now, as soon as you see the Sony logo, and the pink LED, press Volume Up key to enter recovery.
- Congrats! You should now see the custom recovery.
- Once in CWM recovery, flash the zip file you copied to your phone in step 2. To do so, select “install zip > choose zip from sd card > doomlord advanced stock kernel.zip > yes” and flash it.
- Once flashed the zip file, reboot your device.
- That’s all.
That’s All with the recovery installation. In case you got any queries or face any difficulties regarding this post, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017