Just a few months ago, Galaxy S5 was updated to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. Unfortunately, the S5 won’t get any further Android update. Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow will be the last official update for this phone. To update your phone further, Galaxy S5 users will have to take the help of a custom ROM. The good news in this regard is already out. Android 7.1 Nougat based on LineageOS 14.1 custom ROM is available for the Galaxy S5. LineageOS 14.1 is out for almost all the variants of the Galaxy S5. Just before we start flashing the ROM, it is important to have a flashback at the phone.
Galaxy S5 sported a 5.1-inch display with a 1080p resolution. A RAM of 2 GB is plugged inside. Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 CPU accompanied by Adreno 330 GPU powers this phone up. An amazing 16 MP shooter is placed at its back and a 2 MP is fixed on the front. Galaxy S5 is Samsung’s very first phone to have the water resistant capabilities. This phone ran on Android KitKat out of the box and received updates till Android Marshmallow as mentioned above. In case you want to enjoy the new features of higher versions of Android, then you just have to get a custom ROM as we discussed previously.
LineageOS 14.1 custom Android 7.1 Nougat is available for the SM-G900F, G900FD, SCL23, SM-G9006V, SM-G9008V, SM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W and some other variants as well. You can check the ROM on the official download page attached below. Download the ROM carefully for your device and follow the instructions word-to-word to make sure that you end up with a safe flashing process.
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S5. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 3.0 recovery on your S5.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Install Custom Android 7.1 Nougat on Galaxy S5 using LineageOS 14.1
- Download the ROM.zip file according to your phone.
- Download Gapps.zip file [arm -7.1] for LineageOS 14.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Locate and select lineage-14.1-xxxxxxx-golden.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Locate and select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 7.1 Nougat LineageOS 14.1 running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017