Google Nexus 4 won’t be getting the official Android 6.0 Marshmallow update. Nexus 4’s Android updates ended at Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Updating the device to Android Lollipop is a big move by Google as no other OEMs have tried to update such an old device to a firmware like Android Lollipop. Nexus devices are always the luckiest ones to get plethora of custom ROMs which keeps these devices alive. To fulfil the Marshmallow appetite of Nexus 4 owners, XDA senior member vocoderism came up with pure AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM. The ROM is intended give you a full touch and feel of the all new Android 6.0 on your Nexus 4. The ROM is in beta stages for now, but it’s good enough to try out the latest and greatest version of Android on your Nexus 4.
In the on-going guide we will be showing you a comprehensive method to install this AOS Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your Nexus 4. In the first part, we will be showing you a method to install latest TWRP recovery on your Google Nexus 4. After installing TWRP recovery, we will flash Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and in the end we will install Google GApps for Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- This guide is intended for LG Nexus 4 D820 or D821. Do not try this on any other device. Before going ahead, check your device’s model number in settings > about device.
- Backup all of your important data including contacts, sms messages, call logs and media content.
- Charge your phone up to 80% before proceeding.
- Install TWRP recovery on your Nexus 4 and create a Nandroid backup using the Backup feature in TWRP. You may backup all partitions as well including EFS, Modem etc. Copy this backup to your PC.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Install TWRP 2.8 recovery on your Nexus 4
Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers with recovery.img file.
Step#1: Make sure that you’ve followed all the steps explained above.
Step#2: Now connect your Nexus 4 to your PC. If it asks for some permission on the phone, check allow this PC and tap ok.
Step#3: Now open the extracted Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder.
Step#4: Now click on py_cmd.exe file in order to open the command prompt.
Step#5: Enter the following commands in command prompt one by one.
Step#6: adb devices
This command will list the connected adb devices. You can verify whether your device is connected properly or not.
Step#7: adb reboot-bootloader
This command will reboot your Nexus 4 in bootloader mode.
Step#8: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
This will flash TWRP recovery on your Nexus 4.
Now Install AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow On Nexus 4
- Download AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow Custom ROM for Google Nexus 4.
- Download Google GApps for Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- Copy both the downloaded .zip files to your Nexus 4’s internal SD card.
- Now boot your Nexus 4 in recovery mode. To do so, power off your Nexus 4 completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Keys. You will boot into TWRP recovery.
- A clean install is always preferred so perform a factory data reset using the wipe option in TWRP.
- Now get back to the main menu in TWRP and tap Install > scroll all the way down and tap the ROM.zip file that you just copied. Swipe finger from left to write on the bottom of screen to flash.
- Once flashed, get back to the main menu and tap Install again. Now scroll all the way down and select GApps.zip file this time and flash it.
- Get back to the main menu again and wipe cache and dalvik cache from wipe option.
- Now reboot your phone, you will have the all new AOSP based Android 6.0 Marshmallow running on your Nexus 4.
That’s all. Stuck with something? Feel free to reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017