Sony’s 2013 flagship, the Xperia Z1 will be receiving the Android 5.0 Lollipop update officially very soon, but if you just cannot wait to sweeten your device officially, you may want to do that right now unofficially. There surely are a lot of hiccups if you’re going to do it unofficially, but we believe that for now, just to have that taste, it’s worth updating your device to Android 5.0 Lollipop using AOSP custom ROM compiled by XDA recognized developer krabappel2548, who also compiled the same ROM for some other Xperia devices as well. This is a very early build of Android 5.0 Lollipop, a lot of bugs are expected but the mainstream features are found to be working, and for Android custom ROM freaks, it won’t matter much. Although this ROM isn’t a daily driver right now, but the developer is working hard on fixing the bugs as soon as he’s coming to know about those.
For those who are not well aware of the Android 5.0 Lollipop, they would like to know that Android 5.0 is the latest version of Android. It also happens to be the biggest update in the UI department after the Android ICS, which was unveiled in 2011. Google introduced a new UI, that it named as Material Design. This new UI makes the graphics flat and smooth, the elements look close to real time objects. There are core enhancements, battery life has been greatly improved. New features including Bluetooth enhancements, Notifications on lockscreen and some other mouth watering stuff has been added to the Android 5.0 Lollipop as well. Sony will be updating the entire Xperia Z family to Android 5.0 Lollipop very soon, but the release dates are not known yet, until then the users will either have to wait or find some other way to update their device to this latest, greatest and coolest version of Android.
Okay, that was all about the Android 5.0. Let’s get back to our topic now. You must be wondering right now that how you can actually install the unofficial and custom build of Android Lollipop on your Xperia Z1, that we just talked about. If you really are doing that, you may stop thinking that and scroll down a little more to go through the guide to update your Sony Xperia Z1 to Android 5.0 Lollipop using the AOSP custom ROM.
Here’s what’s working and what’s not working in this ROM
– Mobile Data
– everything that’s not in the “not working list”
– Mic while calling
– Mobile Data?
– Video Playback (Use VLC or another app as workaround for now)
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z1!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Unlock Bootloader.
Your device’s bootloader must be unlocked in order to flash this custom ROM. You can unlock it by using our Sony bootloader unlock guide.
5. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install AOSP Android 5.0 Lollipop On Xperia Z1
- Download the Xperia Z1 AOSP 5.0 Beta v3.0 file. (Android L > Xperia Z1 > Beta 3 (right click beta 3 and download as zip))
- Extract the ROM.zip file to get boot.img and system.img files.
- Download Android ADB and Fastboot drivers, here’s our comprehensive guide for setting up ADB & Fastboot.
- Open the extracted ROM.zip and copy all the .img files.
- Now paste all the .img files file that you extracted from the zip folder in the minimal adb and fastboot folder that you got in the windows drive after installing the Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers from the guide linked above.
- Connect your Xperia Z1 in Fastboot mode with your PC now. To do so, turn it off completely, now connect it with your PC while keeping Volume Up key pressed. As soon as your PC has detected your phone in Fastboot mode, a blue light will blink up in the notification LED.
- Assuming that you’ve already placed all the .img files in the fastboot folder, now open the Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe file from your desktop.
- Once opened, issue the following commands.
- “fastboot devices” – to verify if the device is properly connected in fastboot or not, once verified, proceed to next command.
“fastboot flash boot boot.img”
“fastboot flash system system.img”.
- In case you are confused, follow the Android ADB & Fastboot drivers guide carefully.
- Once all files are flashed, unplug your Xperia Z1.
- Reboot your device in recovery mode and wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Reboot your device now and checkout Android 5.0 Lollipop working on it.
How To Install Gapps Now
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Copy the Gapps.zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot into recovery mode. To do so, reboot your device and quickly press Volume Up key simultaneously. You will see the recovery mode.
- In recovery, select “install zip > choose zip from SD card > select the Gapps.zip file”.
- Flash the Gapps and reboot your device.
- You will have all Google Apps working fine on your phone now.
In case something goes wrong, you can either restore your Nandroid backup using the guide linked above or you may want to learn How To Download Sony Xperia Official Firmware And Create FTF File
That’s all with the ROM installation. In case you’re stuck with anything or you’re facing any issues, feel free to drop your words in the comment box below. We will get back to you as soon as possible.