Galaxy S2 Plus’s life ended on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. We haven’t seen any update for this device in a long while nor we are expecting Samsung to have a look back. Due to hardware limitations, Galaxy S2 Plus has to stay on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean now. The device got higher versions of Android but in the form of custom ROMs. We already have posted the guides to update your Galaxy S2 Plus to Android 4.4 KitKat, Android 5.0 Lollipop. Now that Google has released Android 6.0 Marshmallow, the next firmware that Galaxy S2 Plus users are expecting is the custom Android Marshmallow ROM. The good news is, a pure AOSP custom ROM has already made its way towards the Galaxy S2 Plus I9105 and I9105P.
AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow is in the very early stages of development at the moment, but most of the mainstream features are found to be working in this ROM. The working features include Calls, SMS, Mobile Data, Camera, WiFi etc. We will be flashing this ROM on our beloved Galaxy S2 Plus in a while. We only recommend you to go ahead if you’re an Android power user and you have a great idea of custom ROMs. Although this ROM has got most of the features working but we still do not recommend to keep it as a daily driver until we see a complete stable and intact version coming out.
Time to go ahead now and flash this Pure AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105 and I9105P. Before flashing the ROM, make sure that you read the pre-installation instructions carefully.
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data)
- Sensors (Accelerometer, Compass, Light, Proximity, etc.)
- Video (playback & recording)
- Audio (playback & recording)
- Everything else not listed under “known issues”
What’s not working?
SELinux is in permissive mode
Runtime storage permission does not work properly (setns patches are not applied, see PermissionsHostTest CTS test)
Sometimes wake up causes music stutter
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105/P. Also make sure that your phone is running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model and firmware in Settings > About Devicel.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 2.8 recovery on your S2 Plus I9105/P.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow On Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus Using AOSP Custom ROM
- Download AOSP.zip file according to your device
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android Marshmallow.
- Download SuperSu 2.50.zip file.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy all .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select AOSP…….zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 6.0 Marshmallow running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Root and Install TWRP on Android 7.0 Nougat Galaxy S7/S7 Edge [Verified Method] - January 23, 2017
- How to fix Google Chrome performance issues on Mac OS X/MacOS Sierra - January 22, 2017
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017