The dual SIM variant of the Galaxy S4 Mini, the I9192 turned out to be a very lucky device as it received the unofficial Lollipop treatment by XDA senior member k2wl, who has been pretty much active on the Galaxy S4 Mini development since quite a long time. CyanogenMod has already provided the source code for CM 12 and the developers are coming up with Android 5.0 Lollipop packed inside this unofficial CyanogenMod 12 for various devices. Although this ROM for Galaxy S4 Mini Duos is in very early development stages, but at the present time, the very basic functions are found to be working and make this ROM a good choice for those who cannot cage themselves with the existing Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware of the Galaxy S4 Mini Duos.
We will be installing this unofficial CyanogenMod 12.0 custom ROM on our beloved Galaxy S4 Mini Duos GT-I9192 in order to update it to Android 5.0 Lollipop. Before we proceed, it may be kept in mind that this is a custom firmware and there’s always a chance for bugs in these firmwares. This firmware may not be kept for everyday use on your Android device, you may only proceed if you’re a custom ROM freak and you can handle mishaps that usually occur while flashing these custom operating systems. Newbies are recommended not to flash this ROM.
1. This Guide Is Only For Galaxy S4 Mini Duos GT-I9192
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Flash a Custom Recovery
A custom recovery is required for flashing this ROM. You may use our guide to from here to install Philz Advanced Touch CWM recovery on your Galaxy S4 Mini I9192.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – You can do this using CWM/TWRP recovery.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. If your device has the Knox counter on the bootloader, it will be tripped and you won’t be able to reset it ever. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Here’s what’s working in this ROM and what’s not
Sim 1 (phone calls and loud speaker)
GApps (your link)
MP3 (google play music, apollo)
Compass (magnetic sensor)
Capacitive buttons (although there is no option for it)
Storage (detected internal and external)
Battery seems stable (using wifi to download (restore apps)
Advance settings in Display menu..
System updates (check now button doesn’t trigger action?)
How To Install Android Lollipop On Galaxy S4 Mini I9192 Using CyanogenMod 12 Custom ROM
- Download cm-12-20141123.zip file for Galaxy S4 Mini I9192.
- Download Google Gapps.zip file.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into Philz CWM recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in Philz CWM recovery select wipe option and wipe cache, factory data reset, dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card / locate the zip file > Select CM-12 ROM.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone.
- Once again in recovery select “Install > Choose zip from SD card / locate the file > Gapps.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12.0 running on your Galaxy S4 Mini in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, so hold on tighter until your device gets ready. Just in case you don’t find this ROM working so great, you may want to restore your Galaxy S4 Mini to stock condition.
If you’ve any queries or you’re stuck with anything regarding this post, please reach us through the comment box below. We will get back to you immediately. Thank you all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017