With the Galaxy S4 Active, Samsung started its new line of Active series and introduced a new trend. The Galaxy S4 Active carries some specifications from the original Galaxy but is waterproof and dust resistant. The device comes under the umbrella of At&t in the United States with the model number SGH-I537 . Good new for the At&t Galaxy S4 Active owners is, At&t has started updating this device to the long awaited Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. The update is available through OTA, but if you haven’t got it yet or you are a power user with a rooted device, you may have not updated your device yet and some of you may want to update the device manually. You may also want to root your device right away. In the on-going guide we have brought you the detailed method to update your At&t Galaxy S4 Active SGH I537 to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop I537UCUCOC6 firmware and root it.
The following guide will take you through two different methods. You can install stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on your S4 Active without root, and you can also install rooted Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on your Galaxy S4 Active. You will be able to enable WiFi tethering as well on your device running this latest Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. This is completely up to you. Let’s go through the method to install pure stock Lollipop firmware first.
- This guide is intended for At&t Galaxy S4 Active SGH-I537 owners only.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 50% to avoid power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you’ve already backed all of your important contacts, call logs, sms messages. Also backup your important media content.
- Do not forget to backup EFS of your Galaxy S4 Active. We also recommend backing up Nandroid if you’ve flashed a custom recovery on your device.
- Non of these methods will void the warranty of your phone or trip the Knox counter. Follow the instructions carefully, and make sure that you do everything on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers may not be held responsible.
Install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Stock On Your Galaxy S4 Active I537 [Stock – No Root]
The method to update your device to pure stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is pretty easy if you meet the requirements, but if you do not, it may get a little longer. In order to install this stock firmware on your device, you must be running stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat based on (NH3) build. You cannot apply this update if your device is running a newer firmware then the NH3 firmware. If your device is running on an older build number, you can easily update it to NH3 firmware. The method to update to NH3 is also listed below.
- If your device is already running the NH3 firmware, you may skip the first 5 steps.
- To update to NH3 firmware, we will first flash NE3 firmware on the device and then we will apply NH3 OTA update through stock recovery.
- Download SGH-I537UCUCNE3_v4.4.2_ATT_ALL.zip
- Flash the NE3 firmware on your At&t Galaxy S4 Active using this guide.
- Now download NE3toNH3.zip & unzip it. Find the 2400258.cfg file and rename it to update.zip.
- Now copy the update.zip file to your phone’s external SD card.
- Now boot your phone into stock recovery. To do so turn off your device completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key. Leave the keys as your phone turns on.
- Now using the Volume Up & Down keys select the options “apply update from external storage > select the update.zip file > select yes” and wait for the file to be flashed now.
- Once done, download this NH3toLollipop.zip and unzip it. You will find the 2400258.cfg file here as well, rename it to update.zip and copy it to your phone’s external SD card. Make sure that you have already flashed the NH3 update.zip file prior to flashing this file.
- Now once again boot your device into recovery mode and using the method in step 6, flash this update.zip file as well.
- Once done, your device should be running on pure stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop OC6 firmware.
How To Install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop On Your At&t S4 Active Keeping Root
This method will help you to update your At&t S4 Active to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop pre-rooted firmware. This method will not void the Knox counter and warranty of your phone. You need to have your device rooted prior to use this method. You do need to be on a specific firmware to apply this update, you can use this method on whatever firmware you are running currently on your device.
Root your At&t Galaxy S4 Active using Towelroot – [The method linked here is for Galaxy S5, but the same method will work for your At&t S4 Active].
- InstallFlashFire app, you must follow these steps to install FlashFire.
- Join Android-FlashFire community on Google+.
- Now open FlashFire Google Play Store link and hit “Become a beta tester”.
- It will take you to the installation page now, you can install it easily.
- You may install it using the FlashFire APK if you’re having difficulties with the procedure explained above.
- Now download the firmware file I537_OC6_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip.
- Copy the downloaded .zip file to your phone’s SD card now.
- Now open the FlashFire App that you just installed on your device.
- Tap “Agree” to terms and conditions and allow the application for root privileges.
- Tap the “+” button twice in the lower right corner of FlashFire in order to bring up the actions menu.
- Now tap “Flash OTA or Zip” and select the I537_OC6_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip file. FlashFire will now scan the file.
- In the next screen, leave the Auto-mount option un-checked and press the tick mark on the top-right corner.
- Do not touch anything else, follow these instructions to the letter.
- Once you’re done with all this, you’re good to go now. Tap the “lightening” button on the lower-left corner now.
- That’s all. Sit back and wait for the application to do the job. It will take around 10-15 minutes for your device to reboot and it will be running on rooted Android 5.0 Lollipop.
How To Enable WiFi Tethering On Your At&t Galaxy S4 I537 Running Lollipop
- Download I537_OC6_TetherAddOn.zip and copy it to your phone’s SD card.
- Open FlashFire and Tap the “+” button on the lower right corner.
- Select the “Flash OTA or Zip” option and select the TetherAddOn.zip file. FlashFire will scan the file.
- Do not touch any other options in FlashFire and tap the lightening button now.
- Wait for a while till FlashFire flashes the file and reboots your device.
- You can now enable WiFi hotspot on your At&t Galaxy S4 Active. That’s all.
That’s all with this guide. If you face any kind of issues following any of the methods listed above, make sure that you reach us out through the comment box below. We will try our best to help you out. Thank you.