Google has rolled out Android 5.1 Lollipop for its recent flagship devices. Samsung and other manufacturers are still struggling to roll out Android 5.0 Lollipop for some of their devices. Samsung has rolled out the update for its top of the line smartphones, but a huge audience that owns mid-range and budget Galaxy devices may be still waiting for a good news from Samsung, which is unlikely to come out. Galaxy Mega, one of its-own-kind device introduced by Samsung a few years ago ran on Android Jelly Bean out of the box and received KitKat later on. The device does have some nice hardware specifications, but the users may be a bit disappointed after coming to know that this device won’t be receiving Android Lollipop.
If you’re a Galaxy Mega 5.8 owner and you still want to update your device to the latest iteration of Android, a custom ROM maybe a choice for you. By means of a custom ROM, you can have the taste and feel of pure Android Lollipop firmware. The one we have found for you is the most popular, CyanogenMod. CyanogenMod 12.1’s unofficial builds have started landing on development forums, and Galaxy Mega 5.8 happens to be one of the lucky devices to get this ROM very early. All basic features of the phone are found to be working in this ROM, there maybe minor bugs as we can’t guarantee the complete functionality of this ROM. Apart form the CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM, we have also mentioned the well known Resurrection Remix ROM , which is also quite stable and offers unofficial Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for the Galaxy Mega I9152. Let’s go ahead and pick up your desired custom ROM and install unofficial Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on your beloved Galaxy Mega 5.8 GT-I9152.
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy Mega Dual GT-I9152. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 2.8 recovery on your Galaxy Mega 5.8.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop On Samsung Galaxy Mega I9152 Using A Custom ROM
- Download custom ROM according to your choice.
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android Lollipop.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select custom rom.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016
- Download and install official Pixel Launcher on Android [APK] - October 19, 2016