Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 from the year 2016 has become one of the luckiest devices to taste the all new Android 7.0 Nougat via an AOSP custom ROM. Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 is currently running on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. Samsung hasn’t announced any plans to update this device to any further version of Android. It’s unclear whether this device will even get a chance to get another upgrade or Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow is the final official update for this device. Keeping that apart, if you are an Android user, it really shouldn’t matter to you as you should always be able to update your device by flashing various custom ROMs.
Android Open Source Project aka AOSP custom ROMs are the aftermarket distribution of official Android OS. The AOSP ROM available for the Tab S2 is based on Android 7.0 Nougat. The ROM is in its early stages, so expect a few things to crash. The ROM will surely get improved with time, but for now the only thing that matters is the Android 7.0 Nougat running on your device when there’s no sign of this firmware for many other Android smartphones.
AOSP ROM for the Galaxy Tab S2 has been put forward by XDA recognised developer RaymanFX, so thanks to him. The ROM is available for Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 SM-T810 and T815. You will need a custom recovery installed on your Tab prior to the installation of this ROM. The ROM isn’t pre-rooted either. You will have to flash SuperSU.zip file in the end to gain root access on it. Let’s have a look on the method and install this ROM right away.
The ROM flashing process requires you to factory reset your device, so, make sure that you backup all of your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and media content. Flashing a custom ROM is not recommended by device manufacturers and the process is highly custom. In case a mishap occurs, TechBeasts, the ROM developer or the device manufacturer may not be held responsible. Make sure that you are doing everything at your own risk.
Install Android 7.0 Nougat AOSP on Galaxy Tab S2 T810/T815
- Your phone must have a TWRP recovery installed on it.
- Download the ROM according to your device and copy to the internal or external storage. ROM.zip for SM-T815 | ROM.zip for SM-T810
- Download Google GApps.zip file for Android Nougat and copy it to your phone’s internal or external storage as well.
- Download SuperSU.zip file and copy it to your Tab S2’s storage as well.
- Boot into TWRP recovery on your Tab S2 9.7. To do so, first turn off your phone and then turn it on by pressing and holding Power + Volume Down > navigate to recovery mode and then boot into it.
- In TWRP recovery, tap Wipe > perform a factory data reset prior to the flashing of ROM.
- Now in TWRP recovery tap Install > Locate the ROM.zip file from where you placed > select the file > Swipe to confirm flash > flash it.
- Once the ROM flashes, get back to the TWRP recovery main menu and flash GApps.zip file in the same way as you flashed the ROM. After flashing GApps.zip, flash SuperSU.zip file as well.
- Now in TWRP home-screen tap Reboot > System.
- Your Tab S2 9.7 will now boot up into newly installed AOSP Android 7.0 Nougat and that’s all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016