Xperia ZR won’t be getting any further version of Android. Xperia ZR’s software update life came to an end after getting updated to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Due to hardware limitations, Sony won’t be updating this device to Android Marshmallow or any higher version of Android to come in the future. Marshmallow sweetness has been spread everywhere in the Android world, so it may put the Xperia ZR owners in the Marshmallow appetite. To fulfil it, you will need the help of a custom ROM. Since the Android Marshmallow custom ROM has just begun, the best choice for you to go with maybe the CyanogenMod 13. The good news for Xperia ZR owners is, Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based on CyanogenMod 13 is out for Xperia ZR now.
The ROM is the hard work of XDA senior member chipa_p. CyanogenMod 13 for Xperia ZR is in its alpha stage for now. There are bugs expected in this ROM so we only recommend Android power users to go ahead and flash this ROM. If you’re a newbie, you will want to make sure that you follow all the flashing instructions to the letter. We can move forward and begin with the flashing process in order to update our beloved Sony Xperia ZR to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow via CyanogenMod 13 custom ROM.
- This guide is intended for Xperia ZR only. Do not try this on any other device.
- Charge your Xperia ZR up to 50% to avoid any power issues during the flashing process.
- Flash a custom recovery on your Xperia ZR.
- Backup everything including your contacts, call logs, sms messages and bookmarks. Also create a Nandroid backup.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid a mishap.
DISCLAIMER:THE METHODS INVOLVED IN FLASHING CUSTOM RECOVERIES, ROMS AND ROOTING YOUR PHONE ARE HIGHLY CUSTOM AND MAY RESULT IN BRICKING YOUR DEVICE, AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GOOGLE OR THE DEVICE MANUFACTURER THAT IS SONY IN OUR CASE. ALSO ROOTING YOUR DEVICE WILL VOID ITS WARRANTY AND YOU WILL BE NO LONGER ELIGIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF FREE DEVICE SERVICES BY THE MANUFACTURERS/WARRANTY PROVIDERS. IN CASE OF ANY MISHAP WE MAY NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.
How To Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Xperia ZR via CyanogenMod 13
- Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CM 13 ROM.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip [pico package] file for Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
- Copy both the .zip files to your Xperia ZR’s internal or external SD card.
- Boot your Xperia ZR into custom recovery. If you’ve installed dual recovery using the guide linked above, you should use TWRP recovery.
- Now in TWRP recovery, perform a factory reset under wipe option.
- Now get back to the main menu in TWRP recovery and select “Install”.
- Under “Install”, scroll all the way down and choose ROM.zip file. Flash this file.
- Once done, get back to the TWRP recovery menu again and this time flash Gapps.zip file using the instructions as stated in the above step.
- Once you’ve flashed both files, wipe cache and dalvik cache under wipe option.
- Reboot your device into system now.
- That’s all. Your device should boot up in CM 13 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow now.
In case something goes wrong, you may considering restoring the Nandroid backup. Another way to fix your device from the bricked state is to flash a stock ROM. Here’s our comprehensive guide on how to flash a stock firmware on your Sony Xperia.
If you’ve got any queries, feel free to reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017