Time to update your Xperia Z to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow now. This isn’t an official update, but an update that will happen via CyanogenMod 13. Sony has dropped the Xperia Z from the Android Marshmallow league. Xperia Z2 and the devices which came afterwards will be getting Android Marshmallow. The original Xperia Z and its fellows do not happen to be lucky enough. Sony did a great job by updating the device to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, now we have to continue the journey with the help of custom ROMs. When it comes to custom ROMs, CyanogenMod is probably the best choice as it happens to be the most widely used aftermarket Android firmware.
The ROM that landed in for Xperia Z is based on CyanogenMod 13 as mentioned above. The only thing that doesn’t work in this ROM at the moment is the camera, but I wonder if any third party application will make it work as well. Rest of the stuff like RIL and other features are found to be working pretty well. The ROM is in its alpha stages so there are great chances of bugs. We recommend Android power users to go ahead and flash this ROM or if you’re a newbie, you’ve to read the instructions being very careful. We will go through some precautions and then begin with the flashing process.
Time to jump up to the method in order to flash the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Sony Xperia Z via CyanogenMod 13 custom ROM.
- This guide is intended for Xperia Z only. Do not try this on any other device.
- Charge your Xperia Z up to 50% to avoid any power issues during the flashing process.
- Flash a custom recovery on your Xperia Z.
- Backup everything including your contacts, call logs, sms messages and bookmarks. Also create a Nandroid backup.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid a mishap.
Disclaimer:The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SONY in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible.
How To Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Xperia Z via CyanogenMod 13
- Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CM 13 ROM.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip [pico package] file for Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
- Copy both the .zip files to your Xperia Z’s internal or external SD card.
- Boot your Xperia Z into custom recovery. If you’ve installed dual recovery using the guide linked above, you should use TWRP recovery.
- Now in TWRP recovery, perform a factory reset under wipe option.
- Now get back to the main menu in TWRP recovery and select “Install”.
- Under “Install”, scroll all the way down and choose ROM.zip file. Flash this file.
- Once done, get back to the TWRP recovery menu again and this time flash Gapps.zip file using the instructions as stated in the above step.
- Once you’ve flashed both files, wipe cache and dalvik cache under wipe option.
- Reboot your device into system now.
- That’s all. Your device should boot up in CM 13 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow now.
In case something goes wrong, you may considering restoring the Nandroid backup. Another way to fix your device from the bricked state is to flash a stock ROM. Here’s our comprehensive guide on how to flash a stock firmware on your Sony Xperia.
If you’ve got any queries, feel free to reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016