Galaxy S4 Mini’s software updates ended on Android KitKat. The device won’t be getting any further version of Android. Just in case you wish to update your device to a higher version of Android, the only way to do so might be the use of a nice custom ROM. Work on the custom ROMs based on Android Marshmallow just started off. Many of the users are keeping their eyes on the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based on CyanogenMod 13 for their devices. Galaxy S4 Mini happens to be one of the luckiest devices to join the league of CyanogenMod 13. We’ve already posted a guide on how to update your Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, now is the time for Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
You will learn to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CyanogenMod 13 on your Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190 and GT-I9195 in the succeeding guide. Before we head towards the installation instructions, it may be kept in mind that this is a custom ROM and it’s supposed to carry quite many bugs until it receives a stability build. Flashing custom ROMs is recommended for Android power users only. If you’re not confident enough to handle a mishap occurring after flashing a custom ROM, you may avoid flashing it. The ROM we are going to flash may not be good enough to use as a daily driver so make sure that you’re proceeding after embracing all the risks involved in the pre and post-flashing process.
- This guide is intended for Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190 and I9195 users only. Do not try flashing this ROM on any other device otherwise you may result in bricking it. Check your device’s model number in settings > about device.
- Charge your phone up to 50% to avoid any potential issues during the flashing process.
- Backup your important contacts, call logs, sms messages, bookmarks and other important data. Also copy your important media content to your computer. This is highly recommended as you may have to go through data wipes during the flashing process.
- Install a custom recovery like Philz Advanced CWM on your phone.
- Create a Nandroid backup and copy it to your PC. Don’t forget to create an EFS backup as well.
- Follow the instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap. Read the disclaimer carefully.
DISCLAIMER: IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG, OR YOUR DEVICE MESSES UP, WE OR THE DEVICE MANUFACTURERS MAY NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. CUSTOM PROCESS INVOLVE A HIGH RISK, SO MAKE SURE THAT WHAT EVERY YOU’RE DOING, YOU’RE TAKING FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THAT AND YOU’RE WELL AWARE OF THE PROCEDURES.
- Make sure that you’ve flashed the Philz Advanced Touch recovery linked above.
- Download Google GApps for Android 6.0.1 for your device.
- Copy both the downloaded .zip files to the internal or external storage of your device.
- Now boot into recovery mode on your device. To do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key.
- Once your device boots up, leave the keys. You should be in the recovery mode now.
- Now in Philz Touch Recovery tap “Wipe & Format Options > Factory Reset > Yes”.
- Now go back to the main menu in Philz Touch and tap “Install Zip > Choose zip from /sdcard or storage depending on where you placed the file > select the ROM.zip file > Select Yes in next screen and wait for it to flash the ROM”.
- Now go back to the main menu again, once again tap “Install Zip > Choose zip > Select the GApps.zip file this time > Yes and wait for it to flash”.
- Once done, using the wipe options wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Now reboot your device.
- You should be running Android 6.0.1 Lollipop on your Galaxy S4 Mini now. That’s all.
The first boot may take up to 10 minute so hold on while your device complete boots up. In case the newly installed OS doesn’t satisfy you, you can immediately flash the Nandroid backup to restore your previous firmware with all the data. In case you haven’t created a Nandroid backup, you may want to flash a stock firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini.
Just in case you’re stuck with anything, feel free to reach us out through the comment or through our contact us page.