Here’s a step-by-step guide that will help you install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 I9152 via CyanogenMod 13 custom ROM. Prior to the installation process, we’ll have a look on the importance of custom ROMs and Galaxy Mega’s 5.8’s software life.
Custom ROMs have always proved to be a blessing for the Android smartphones that have been forgotten by the manufacturers in the software aspects. The reason for manufacturers to stop the software updates is the limitation of hardware. Old hardware is not capable enough to run the latest softwares all the time. Thus, to keep the device’s software intact, device manufacturers keep it to a certain version of OS and then discontinue its software support. One such unlucky device is Samsung’s Galaxy Mega I9152, It couldn’t see any further version of Android after Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Galaxy Mega enjoyed the latest versions of Android by means of custom ROMs, so that’s how this device comes under the umbrella of blessings we just talked about a minute ago.
Galaxy Mega’s dual SIM variant I9152’s official software support was limited to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean as well. We’ve posted the guides to update your Galaxy Mega I9152 to Android KitKat and Android Lollipop earlier, now that the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow in the form of CyanogenMod 13 is also out, so we are going to help you update to this latest and greatest version of custom Android OS now. Time for us to take you through the early preparations and then begin flashing the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with CyanogenMod 13 on Samsung Galaxy Mega I9152.
Note: This ROM is in early development stages and isn’t meant to be kept for every day use. You may install this ROM at your own risk. Proceed only if you know how to handle a mishap if it occurs after flashing this ROM. It is expected to carry a handful of bugs as long as the builds do not enter stable stage. It’s only good to give you a look and feel of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. As the new builds come up, we will update this post. Newbies have to be more careful and follow this guide to the letter.
- This ROM is intended for Galaxy Mega 5.8 I9152 . Do not try flashing this ROM on any other device otherwise you will result in bricking it. Check your device’s model number under settings > about device.
- Charge your phone up to 50% to avoid any power issues during the flashing process.
- Flash a custom recovery on your Galaxy Mega 5.8 I9152 .
- Backup everything including your important contacts, call logs and text messages.
- Don’t forget to create a Nandroid backup. This is highly recommended so that you can revert back to your previous system in case of a mishap.
- Backup EFS partition to avoid EFS corruption later on.
- Follow the instructions to the letter.
DISCLAIMER: FLASHING CUSTOM ROMS VOIDS THE WARRANTY OF A DEVICE AND ITS NOT RECOMMENDED OFFICIALLY. WHILE YOU’RE GOING TO DO THIS, MAKE SURE THAT YOU’RE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IN CASE OF A MISHAP TECHBEASTS, SAMSUNG OR THE DEVICE MANUFACTURERS MAY NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.
Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Mega 5.8 I9152 via CyanogenMod 13
- Download TWRP Recovery with SELinux support for your Galaxy Mega 5.8.
- Download latest CyanogenMod 13.zip file according to your device
- Download Gapps.zip [arm, 6.0.zip] file for Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy all .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install Zip > Select twrp_v126.96.36.199…….zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the SELinux supported TWRP on your Galaxy Mega 5.8 now. Now go back to main menu in TWRP Recovery and tap “Reboot > Recovery”. This will reboot into newly flashed TWRP on your Galaxy Mega 5.8 I9152 now.
- Now in the new recovery select “Install Zip > Select cm-13.0…….zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CyanogenMod 13.0 running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
In order to enable root access on this ROM, go to settings > about device > tap the build number for 7 times. This will enable developer options on in settings. Now open developer options and enable root.
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017