AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM has made its way to the original Galaxy Grand GT-I9082 and GT-I9082L. If you’re looking for a way to flash this custom ROM in order to give your Galaxy Grand a look and feel of the all new Android 6.0 Marshmallow, you may find this post pretty useful. We are going to learn a step-by-step set of instructions to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow AOSP custom ROM on our beloved Galaxy Grand GT-I9082 and I9082L in the succeeding guide. Before we install Marshmallow on Galaxy Grand, we will have a recap of this device.
Galaxy Grand, Samsung’s mid-ranger popped up for the first time back in the year 2013. Samsung flaunted this phone with a 5-inch 480p display. Galaxy Grand caught an 8 MP shooter at its back and 2 MP on the front. A Dual-core CPU clocked at 1.2 GHz was fixed inside alongside a RAM of 1 GB. Galaxy Grand ran on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and was upgraded to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and that’s where its official software support died. Samsung didn’t look back at this device and since then, the only new life this device has been getting is by means of custom ROMs. Earlier we posted a method to update the Galaxy Grand to Android 5.0 Lollipop using a custom ROM as well. Now that Marshmallow custom ROM is available, we will flash this ROM on Galaxy Grand and enjoy the latest and greatest version of Google’s Android OS. Let’s learn a little bit about this AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow in order to be able to install it now.
Current version of Android 6.0 Marshmallow AOSP ROM is in the alpha stages. The ROM is expected to be buggy and unstable. The mainstream features like Calls, SMS, Mobile Data, Camera and sensors are found to be working. Some features like FM Radio, Google Play Movies are not working for now. You may flash this ROM on your device just to enjoy the Marshmallow firmware, but it may not be kept as a daily driver. Also make sure that you know how these custom ROMs work and how to handle them. We recommend newbies to be very careful while flashing this ROM. Let’s have a look on the working stuff and the known issues.
What’s working in this AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow for Galaxy Grand?
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data)
- Sensors (Accelerometer, Compass, Light, Proximity, etc.)
- Video (playback & recording)
- Audio (playback & recording)
- Everything else not listed under “known issues”
What’s not working?
- AOSP keyboard does not support gesture typing even with gapps installed. This is to prevent crash with not fully compatible gapps packages. If you want gesture typing, install Google Keyboard from the Play Store.
- Google Play Movies (widevine DRM) does not work
- FM Radio does not work
- SELinux is in permissive mode
- Runtime storage permission does not work properly (setns patches are not applied, see PermissionsHostTest CTS test)
- Sometimes wake up causes music stutter
- This guide is only intended for Galaxy Grand GT-I9082 and GT-I9082L. Do not try flashing this ROM on any other device, otherwise you will result in bricking it.
- Your device must be running stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean before flashing this ROM. Do not flash this ROM over Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean or any other custom ROM.
- Make sure that your phone is charged at least 50% to avoid power issues during the process.
- Install CWM recovery on your Galaxy Grand. This guide will work for both I9082 and I9082L variants.
- Create a Nandroid backup of your Galaxy Grand using the recovery.
- Also create an EFS Backup of your Galaxy Grand.
- Also backup your Contacts, Call Logs and SMS Messages.
- Follow the instructions carefully to avoid any mishap.
Disclaimer: Flashing custom ROMs is a highly risky process. In case of a mishap, TechBeasts or the ROM developer may not be held responsible. Make sure that you’re doing everything at your own risk.
How to Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Galaxy Grand I9082/L via AOSP ROM
- Download latest AOSP Marshmallow.zip file for your device
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android Marshmallow.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy all .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into CWM recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in CWM recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install zip” option.
- Now select “Install zip > Choose Zip from SD card > Select AOSP Marshmallow.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install Zip > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 6.0 Marshmallow running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017