We are about to show you a step-by-step guide to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow via OmniROM on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow is now available for the very first Galaxy, the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. This isn’t less then a surprise for the Android enthusiasts. If you have your Galaxy S lying around full of dust or you’ve locked it down in your drawer, its time to take it out and wipe the dust off to give it a new life. Android 6.0 Marshmallow has been made available for the original Samsung Galaxy by means of unofficial Omni custom ROM. The ROM is still in Alpha stage of development, but the mainstream features like WiFi, RIL, Bluetooth, Camera are found to be working pretty fine. You can flash this ROM on your Galaxy S by through a custom recovery and have a touch and feel of Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Let’s have a recap on the Samsung Galaxy S and then head towards the OmniROM Android 6.0 Marshmallow installation guide.
Samsung Galaxy S is the device that made Samsung enter into the smartphone business. Samsung Galaxy S brought Samsung a lot of good fortune. The device originated back in the year 2010 and ran on Android Eclair out of the box. Galaxy S’s software life ended on Android Gingerbread. Since then, Samsung has forgot this device. Samsung Galaxy S has been seeing higher versions of Android unofficially. The device was updated to Android Jelly Bean, Android KitKat and Android Lollipop by means of custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, OmniROM etc. The latest version of Android is Marshmallow, Marshmallow has made its way to the Galaxy S packed inside Omni ROM. Let’s go through the pre-installation instructions and then flash the ROM.
- This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000. Do not try this on any other device. Check your device’s model under Settings > About device.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged enough to do all the process. It should be at least 80%. This is highly recommended to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Your device must be rooted and have a custom recovery installed. Follow our full guide here to root and install CWM recovery.
- After you’ve installed CWM recovery, boot into it (Volume Up+Home Button + Power Key) and backup your current ROM/System using the backup option in the CWM. This is highly recommended in case something goes wrong and you want to go back to the previous working state of your phone immediately.
- Make sure that you’ve backed up all your important media content, contacts, call logs and text messages. This is highly recommended in case you need to wipe your phone during the installation process or something goes wrong.
- Flash this ROM only if you know what you are doing, if you have much knowledge about the Custom ROMs and if you can handle the nightly builds.
- As said earlier, this is an alpha build, and may contain a lot of bugs, this ROM may not be kept for every day use. We may not be held responsible for any kind of bugs or mishaps.
- Alright! Make sure that you applied all the pre requisites and pre cautions as explained, follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishaps.
Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Samsung Galaxy S I9000 via Omni ROM
- Download Omni ROM Android 6.0 Marshmallow for Galaxy S1: omni-6.0-20151201-galaxysmtd-HOMEMADE.zip
- Download Gapps for Android 6.0 Marshmallow : open_gapps_galaxysmtd.tar.gz
- Place both the downloaded .zip files on your phone’s internal or external sd card.
- Boot into CWM recovery on your phone. To do so, turn off your device completely, now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up+Home Button+Power Key, you will see the CWM interface now.
- In CWM recovery wipe factory and cache.
- Now select “Install Zip > Choose Zip from Sd/Ext Sd > Select the Omni ROM.zip file ”.
- Select “Yes” and begin the flashing process, it will take a few minutes to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow OmniROM on your phone.
- Now once again select “Install Zip” in CWM recovery, and select Gapps.zip file this time.
- Select “Yes” and flash the Gapps for Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- As soon as the flashing is done, Reboot! Phewww! You’ve successfully installed Omni custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S, you should see the Marshmallow OmniROM logo on the boot screen now.
- The first run will take some time to boot you into the home screen, in case the boot screen is stuck on the boot logo, boot into CWM recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache, reboot and it should take you into the home screen.
That’s All! In case you have any queries, suggestions or face any difficulties, feel free to stop by the comment box below. We will try our best to catch you up. Thanks All!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to install Android 7.0 Nougat on Galaxy S5 via CyanogenMod 14 - October 27, 2016
- Download Facebook Lifestage for PC - October 27, 2016
- Google Now/Google Assistant Voice Commands List - October 27, 2016