Google is rolling out Android 5.1 Lollipop for its new and past flagship devices at the moment and Samsung is lazy enough to give its old devices a look.Galaxy S3 Mini’s life will be stuck with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean forever. After Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, Android has seen almost 6 iterations. Samsung has left the Mini S3 users in a bit of disappointment making the device’s low-level hardware an excuse for incompatibility with any further Android version. Galaxy S3 brought a lot of business to Samsung’s pocket, and happens to be device chosen by thousands of users. If you also happen to be an S3 Mini owner and you want to give your device a new life by means of a higher Android version, a custom ROM maybe a life savior for you.
New Maclaw studios has been doing this job of bringing some happiness on the faces of S3 Mini owners. We have seen Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Android 4.4 KitKat and even Android 5.0 Lollipop based on CyangenMod custom ROM coming up for our beloved Galaxy S3 Mini. Maclaw Studios has been managing to come up with stable builds of custom ROMs, that can be kept as daily drivers in the device. The good news is, New Maclaw has done it once again. This time we have the most latest and greatest version of Android available for our beloved Mini S3. The new version is Android 5.1.1 Lollipop which is based on CyanogenMod 12.1. The current build is stable and all the major features of the device are found to be working flawlessly.
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop contains all the latest features that Google introduced in the very first Lollipop build. The software includes some enhancements over the Android 5.0. Google’s all new Material Design is there. Notifications on lock-screen are there and multi-user, guest modes are included in this OS as well. Running the latest most version of Android is what most of the users want and if you want to do that on your S3 Mini right now, the following guide is going to help you.
We are going to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CyanogenMod 12.1 stable custom ROM on Galaxy S3 Mini I8190, I8190N, & I8190L. To be on the safe side, you must follow all these instructions to the letter. If you’re a novice user, you may only proceed if you’re confident about flashing custom ROMs and you know how to handle a mishap occurring with a custom ROM.
Here is what’s working in this ROM
- RIL (phone/SMS/3G)
- audio (both speakers/headphones/microphone)
- Bluetooth 4.0 with LE support A2DP
- camera (taking photos and videos)
- video playing
- 2D/3D HW Acceleration
- all native tethers (Wifi/BT/USB)
- Google Play
- CPU sleep mode
- no tearing
- tripple buffering
- external storage
- f2fs filesystem support
- offline charging
video taken by stock camera app is green, but some apps like Camu taking correct videos without any issues
less than 2% of users are reporting issues with mobile data – just add new APN manually with settings proper for your provider and apply it to make 3G working
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190/N/L. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 2.8 recovery on your Mini S3.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop On Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Using CM 12.1 Custom ROM
- Download cm12.1_golden.nova.20150514.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip file for CM 12.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select cm12.1…….50514.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Smile Inc for PC (Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac) - October 24, 2016
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016