At&t’s Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is a sibling of Samsung’s all time famous, the Galaxy S2. Galaxy S2 Skyrocket’s specifications vary a little bit from that of the Galaxy S2. This device sports a 4.5 Super AMOLED display on the front. Skyrocket is powered up with Dual Core Scorpian CPU clocked at 1.5 GHz accompanied by Adreno 220 GPU and 1 GB RAM. At the back an 8 MP shooter is fixed and a 2 MP on the front. Internal storage of this device is 16 GB. S2 Skyrocket ran on Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread out of the box, but the device received Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update later on. This device may be owned and loved by thousands of users, but sure the can’t get any further version of Android on it now. Its been years since Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean came, the top-notch devices are enjoying the sweetness of Lollipop which disappoints some loyal S2 Skyrocket users.
Some great developers do not want the users to miss tasting the latest and greatest operating system on their device, so they come up with some alternative method to give a new life to the devices which are forgotten by their manufacturers. Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is one of those devices, and the we are lucky to have developer’s support for this device. If you’ve been willing to get the latest iteration of Android, the Android 5.1.1 Lolllipop on your Skyrocket Galaxy S2, it may be the time for you to check it out now. You can install Android Lollipop on yoru device by means of a custom ROM. Some users are a bit hesitant to install a custom ROM because of their unstable nature, but a little bit search may help you to find a stable custom ROM that may be kept as a daily driver. If you do not want to spend some time searching for a nice custom ROM, this post may be helpful for you. We’ve found a custom ROM based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for our beloved Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. The ROM we found is the all time famous Paranoid Android ROM which is an AOSPA ROM. This ROM has seen a lot of improvement in the past and current version may be kept as a daily dose.
Without any further ado, we will head towards our guide and install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Paranoid Android custom ROM on At&t Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH 727.
- This guide is only for At&t Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH 727. Check your device’s model in settings > about device on your phone.
- Charge your phone’s battery up to 50%.
- Backup all of your important contacts, sms messages, call logs and copy your media content to your computer.
- Your device must be running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
- Install latest TWRP 22.214.171.124 recovery.
- Backup your EFS partition.
- Create a Nandroid Backup.
- Proceed at your own risk. Since this a custom ROM, in case of a mishap we or the device manufacturers may not be held responsible. Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
How To Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop On At&t Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH I727
Download the following zip files and copy these to your S2 Skyrocket’s sd card.
- Micro or Nano GApps for Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
- Latest SuperSu.zip file
- Now after copying these files, boot your phone in to TWRP recovery. To do so, turn off your device completely.
- Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power key. It will boot up in to TWRP recovery now.
- Now in TWRP recovery tap the “Wipe” option and swipe your finger to perform a factory reset.
- Now go back to the main screen in TWRP and tap the “Install” button.
- After tapping the install button, locate and select the ROM.zip file that you downloaded first of all and follow on-screen instructions to flash it.
- Once you’ve successfully flashed the ROM, once again tap install and flash SuperSu.zip file.
- After flashing SuperSu.zip, flash GApps.zip file.
- Once done, go to wipe options and wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Reboot your device. First boot may take up to 10-15 minutes.
- As your device boots up, you will have Android Lollipop running on it. That’s all.
If its taking longer then usual, or the newly install firmware has crashed, you may restore Nandroid backup. If you want to go back to your stock firmware, check out our guide on How To Flash Stock Firmware On Samsung Galaxy With Odin.
In case you got any queries, drop em’ in the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Top 5 Android Lockscreen Apps 2016-2017 - October 26, 2016
- Download Smile Inc for PC (Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac) - October 24, 2016
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016