Xperia M5 came out running on Android 5.0 Lollipop last year. Just yesterday, Sony rolled out Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for this device. The new update is based on the build number 30.1.A.1.33 and is live for Sony Xperia M5 E5603, E5606 and E5653. The new update brings a plethora of new features. There are quite many notable changes in this update. The manual ISO in low light doesn’t lag anymore. Sony has improved the battery charging time of the device. Apart from these changes, Sony has fixed many known bugs like app crashes, 4K video playback has been fixed. There are new icons in settings menu. Sony has also optimised some applications in this new update.
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for the Xperia M5 in no way is an update that you may want to skip. The update is on a slow roll out at the moment. As you all know that these are regional updates, if it hasn’t hit your region already, it may take a while for Sony to cook it up and send it your way. If you do not want this update to reach you out through OTA or through PC companion, you may consider flashing it right away using Sony Flashtool. You will need a proper guide to do that, and we have the guide right here for you.
You are about to go flash the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 30.1.A.1.33 official firmware on your Sony Xperia M5 E5603, E5606 and E5653 using Sony Flashtool. Follow the guide carefully in order to get it done.
1. This is only forSony Xperia M5 E5603, E5606 and E5653
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here. After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it.Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia M5 drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 30.1.A.1.33 Firmware on Sony Xperia M5 E5603, E5653 & E5606
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 30.1.A.1.33 FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia M5, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on your Xperia M5. Enjoy
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016
- Download and install official Pixel Launcher on Android [APK] - October 19, 2016