Galaxy S3 Mini won’t be lucky enough to get any further Android updates. The device will stick to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean forever. According to Samsung, S3 Mini’s hardware isn’t capable of running any higher version of Android. This might put Galaxy S3 Mini owners in a little bit of disappointment, but it may come to an end right away as we have some great developers working for our beloved device. Google’s Android OS has reached its 5th iteration, the Android 5.0 Lollipop is available now, and the Galaxy S3 Mini is running a pretty much outdated version of Android. S3 Mini owners sure would dream of running the latest Android OS on their device, and their dream has become a reality now as we have some custom ROMs based on Android 5.0 Lollipop available now.
We have already posted a guide on how to install Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Galaxy S3 Mini using CyanogenMod 12 custom ROM, but CyanogenMod may not be a choice for some users. After CyanogenMod, Omni ROM happens to be one of the most widely used and popular Android custom ROMs. Galaxy S3 Mini users are lucky enough to have this ROM rolled out by XDA senior member golden-guy. Developer has managed to build a stable version of this ROM and almost all of the features are found to be working. However, it is not recommended for the newbies to go ahead with its installation and it may not be kept for daily dose. Just in case you’re willing to install this ROM, make sure that you follow the instructions listed below to install Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Galaxy S3 Mini I8190/N/L to the letter and do not miss a step.
Here’s what’s working in this ROM and what’s not for now
RIL: Voice calls, SMS, Mobile Data: 2G, 3G up to HSDPA
Bluetooth (with A2DP and AVRCP support, In-Call Audio (SCO))
WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n, WiFi tethering (“WiFi Hotspot”)
Multimedia: Audio, Torch LED, Images Gallery
Messaging: Email, SMS/MMS
LED button backlights
Battery Saver Mode
CPU Deep Sleep support
What’s not working:
Mic (Voice Rec)
Here are the early preparations:
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190/N/L. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 2.8 recovery on your Mini S3.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 5.0 Lollipop On Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Using Omni ROM
- Download omni-5.0.2-20150125-golden-HOMEMADE.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select omni-5.0.2…….HOMEMADE.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 5.0 Lollipop running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Credits: golden-guy [We recommend a donation to the developer for his hard work. Thank you all.]
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017