While Google is done rolling out Android 5.0.2 some of its devices, Samsung is still struggling to roll out the 5th iteration of Android for its flagship devices, that makes the legacy devices pretty much unlucky, as those either won’t be getting this update or will get it too late. Galaxy S3 Mini happens to be one of those unlucky devices, which won’t be tasting Android 4.4.4 KitKat or Android 5.0 Lollipop officially, this leads the Galaxy S3 Mini owners towards a little bit of disappointment, but it may come to an end after finding some nice custom operating system based on the latest version of Android. Fortunately, the developer community over XDA is working actively to add life to the Galaxy S3 Mini. We got a chance to run a stable version of Android 4.4.4 KitKat based on CyanogenMod 11 on our beloved Galaxy S3 Mini I8190/N/L, and the same guys, Maclaw Studios, have come up with the latest version of Android, the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop based on unofficial CyanogenMod 12 custom ROM for our beloved Galaxy S3 Mini.
CyanogenMod is yet to roll out the CM 12 officially, but after a number of experimental versions, NewMaclaw has managed to build a stable version of the Android 5.0.2 CM 12 custom ROM. All the major features are found to be working fine on this firmware, however, this ROM is not intended for newbies and those who do not have a good idea about custom ROMs. We only recommend Android power users to proceed with the installation and get their devices the sweetness of Android Lollipop. Wondering how you can install this firmware? Well, that’s what we are about to do. As you move forward in the proceeding guide, you will come across a comprehensive guide to install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190/N/L using CyanogenMod 12 Custom ROM. Let’s go through the ROM features now and install this firmware.
audio (both speakers/headphones/microphone)
Bluetooth 4.0 with LE support A2DP
2D/3D HW Acceleration
all native tethers (Wifi/BT/USB)
CPU sleep mode
Current Issues: video taken by camera is green [Try using third party camera applicatoin]
Here are the early preparations:
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190/N/L. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 2.8 recovery on your Mini S3.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 5.0 Lollipop On Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Using CM 12 Custom ROM
- Download cm12.0_golden.nova.20150131.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip file for CM 12.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select cm12.0…….50131.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 5.0 Lollipop running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Credits: Novafusion.pl [We recommend donation to the developer for his hardwork. Thank you all.]
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Soul Knight for PC (Windows and Mac) - February 26, 2017
- Download LG G6 Stock Wallpapers - February 26, 2017
- How to logout of Facebook Messenger on Android and iPhone - February 25, 2017