Samsung’s Galaxy Grand is a pretty nice mid-range Android device. It sports a 5.0 inch display with a ppi of 187, and a 2 MP shooter atop of the screen. An 8 MP shooter is fixed at the back. The device is equipped with a Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU and a RAM of 1 GB, 8 GB internal storage is there. Galaxy Grand comes in the form of different variants, a dual SIM variants is there as well. The device ran on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean initially and the software updates ended on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Due to the hardware boundaries, Galaxy Grand owners won’t be able to add the charm of any further version of Android to their Galaxy Grand. They either will have to stick to the stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean or will have to find some alternative to load a latest and greatest version of Android on their device. In such situations, a custom Android OS is always handy. There’s custom Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Android 4.4.4 KitKat available for the Galaxy Grand, but Google has rolled out Android 5.0 Lollipop now, so most of the users would love to add the sweetness of Lollipop to their Grand now. To fulfill the thirst of Galaxy Grand owners, XDA developers pawtip, xenon92, and jackeagle have come up with the unofficial builds of CyanogenMod 12, Resurrection Remix custom ROM, Blisspop custom ROM and Liquid Smooth custom ROM respectively based on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop for our beloved Galaxy Grand.
Just in case you’re not familiar with CyanogenMod, it is the aftermarket distribution of Android OS, and happens to be the most widely used Android Custom ROM. CyanogenMod 12 has landed in officially as well, but the developers were pretty fast to build it unofficially and roll out for the users. Earlier builds of this custom ROM for Galaxy Grand were unstable, but the new builds have attained pretty much of stability. There still are bugs, but the mainstream functions are said to be working find. Other ROMs, Resurrection Remix, Blisspop and Liquid Smooth are compiled up by combining source code from different custom ROMs like AOKP, Omni, PA, CM, SLIM ROMs. All of these ROMs pack up their very own exclusive features and it’s entirely up to the user which ROM they like and install on their device. In these ROMs Dual-SIM capablities of the phone are also working, however these ROM still have quite many bugs and may not be kept for everyday use. We recommend you to install it only if you’re an Android power user and you know how to deal with a custom ROM. If you’re wondering how you can install it, you may want to follow us for a little while as we are going to install this custom Android 5.0.2 Lollipop using CyanogenMod 12, Resurrection Remix, Liquid Smooth or Blisspop on our beloved Galaxy Grand I9082 and I9082L. Let’s go through some early preps and flash it right away.
Here’s what’s working and what’s not working in this ROM:
RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data)
Sensors (Accelerometer, Compass, Light, Proximity, etc.)
Audio (playback & recording)
Everything else not listed under “known issues”
FM Radio does not work
Sometimes wake up causes music stutter
Unable to un-pin screen without rebooting
Does not work on 4.1 stock ROM’s bootloader, please upgrade to stock 4.2 before flashing
- his ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy Grand I9082 & I9082L. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install CWM for Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Galaxy Grand.
- Your device must be running stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean before flashing this ROM.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop On Samsung Galaxy Grand with CM 12 | Resurrection Remix, Liquid Smooth or Blisspop Custom ROM
- Download ROM according to your liking
- cm-12-20150204-UNOFFICIAL-i9082/L.zip. [CyanogenMod 12]
- LS-LP-v4.0-2015-01-25 [Liquid Smooth Based on AOSP & Slim ROM]
- cm-Resurrection_Remix_LP_v5.2.7-20150103-i9082.zip [Based on CyanogenMod 12, Slim ROM, PA & Others]
- Blisspop-v1.9.zip [Blisspop based on CyanogenMod 12]
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into CWM recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in CWM recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select cm-12-2015…….Unofficial.zip or other rom.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into CWM recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to install Dolby Atmos Sound Mod on Android Nougat - February 28, 2017
- Download Soul Knight for PC (Windows and Mac) - February 26, 2017
- Download LG G6 Stock Wallpapers - February 26, 2017