Former Sony Xperia Flagship, the Xperia Z2 ran on Android 4.4.2 KitKat out of the box. Currently the device is running on Android 4.4.4 KitKat and is in the queue to receive the best Android update, the Android Lollipop. Sony has already unveiled its plans to update the entire Xperia Z family to the latest iteration of Android. While Sony cooks up the official version of sweet Android, it will be pretty hard for some Android power users to wait and they may want to look for another way to taste the Lollipop while it officially is under construction. To calm those users and provide them with a way to get the sweetness of Lollipop, some great developers have started coming up with the unofficial builds of Android 5.0 Lollipop based on custom ROMs like AOSP and CyanogenMod.
This job for our beloved Xperia Z2 has been done by XDA recnogized developer krabappel2548 came up with a very early unofficial build of AOSP Android 5.0 Lollipop for the device. Currently there are so many bugs in the ROM, but if you only want to have a feel and look of Android 5.0 Lollipop, it’s worth giving this ROM a try since the mainstream features including Calling, texting, WiFi, Bluetooth and some other are found to be working fine. Although this ROM may not be kept for everyday use, but there’s always a room for improvement and we will be seeing the issues getting resolved in the upcoming builds. Another thing you may keep in mind is, proceed with flashing this ROM only if you’re an Android pro user and if you’ve a very good idea of dealing with the custom ROMs. We highly recommend newbies to stay away.
Before we head towards the installation guide for Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z2, some of the users may want to have an idea about Android 5.0. For those who don’t know, Android 5.0 is the latest version of Android that packs up some major UI enhancements, the new UI is named as Material Design. Performance, stability and battery improvements have been made to the OS now. All the manufacturers will be updating their flagships and some other mainstream devices to this latest version of Android and as mentioned, Sony has already unveiled its plans for the lucky devices as well. Let’s head towards the guide now.
Here’s what’s working and what’s not working in this ROM
– Mobile Data
– everything that’s not in the “not working list”
– Mic on calling??
– Youtube Video Playback
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z2!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Unlock Bootloader.
Your device’s bootloader must be unlocked in order to flash this custom ROM. You can unlock it by using our Sony bootloader unlock guide.
5. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 5.0 Lollipop On Xperia Z2 Using AOSP Custom ROM
- Download the Xperia Z2 AOSP 5.0 Beta v3.0 file. (Android L > (sirius) Z2 > Beta 3 (right click beta 3 and download as zip))
- Extract the ROM.zip file to get boot.img and system.img files.
- Download Android ADB and Fastboot drivers, here’s our comprehensive guide for setting up ADB & Fastboot.
- Open the extracted ROM.zip and copy all the .img files.
- Now paste all the .img files file that you extracted from the zip folder in the minimal adb and fastboot folder that you got in the windows drive after installing the Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers from the guide linked above.
- Connect your Xperia Z2 in Fastboot mode with your PC now. To do so, turn it off completely, now connect it with your PC while keeping Volume Up key pressed. As soon as your PC has detected your phone in Fastboot mode, a blue light will blink up in the notification LED.
- Assuming that you’ve already placed all the .img files in the fastboot folder, now open the Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe from your desktop.
- Once opened, issue the following commands.
“fastboot devices” – to verify if the device is properly connected in fastboot or not, once verified, proceed to next command.
“fastboot flash boot boot.img”
“fastboot flash userdata userdata.img”
“fastboot flash system system.img”.
- In case you are confused, follow the Android ADB & Fastboot drivers guide carefully.
- Once all files are flashed, unplug your Xperia Z2.
- Reboot your device in recovery mode and wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Reboot your device now and checkout Android 5.0 Lollipop working on it.
How To Install Gapps Now
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Copy the Gapps.zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot into recovery mode. To do so, reboot your device and quickly press Volume Up key simultaneously. You will see the recovery mode.
- In recovery, select “install zip > choose zip from SD card > select the Gapps.zip file”.
- Flash the Gapps and reboot your device.
- You will have all Google Apps working fine on your phone now.
In case something goes wrong, you can either restore your Nandroid backup using the guide linked above or you may want to learn How To Download Sony Xperia Official Firmware And Create FTF File
That’s all with the ROM installation. In case you’re stuck with anything or you’re facing any issues, feel free to drop your words in the comment box below. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Latest Odin 3.12.4/Odin 3.12.5 for Samsung - April 27, 2017
- How to Install TWRP Recovery using Fastboot on Android - April 27, 2017
- How to Sync Contacts with Gmail Account on Android - April 27, 2017