Although Sony has announced its plans to update the entire Xperia Z clan to the latest and greatest version of Android, the Android 5.0 Lollipop, but if you’re one of the users for whom it’s getting hard to wait for the official update to arrive and you’re falling short of the sweetness from your current Android version, you may want to taste the Android 5.0 Lollipop a little early on your Xperia Z. XDA senior member thomas1991_12 has made it all possible by bringing up AOSP based Android 5.0 Lollipop custom ROM. The early build is under development stage and contains a number of bugs, it isn’t recommended to be kept for everyday use, and if you’re not much familiar with custom ROMs, it isn’t recommended for you at all.
Just in case you’re coming across the Android 5.0 Lollipop for the very first time, you may want to know that Android Lollipop is the 5th iteration in the history of Android. Android Lollipop packs up biggest updates of Android, it happens to be the Android version with major graphical changes since Android Ice Cream Sandwich. There are a lot of improvements in the core firmware that allow the users to get better performance, battery life from their Android device. Google has improved the security as well, the firmware is much more responsive then the previous firmwares. The new UI is named as Material Design, it’s pretty smooth and flat, and makes the interaction of the users with the device just as they would interact with real-life objects. Since Google has rolled out the source code for Android 5.0, all the smartphone giants will be in a competition to update their flagship devices to this latest firmware, and keeping it in view, Sony has announced its plans for updating all Xperia Z smartphones to Android Lollipop, but we’ve no idea how long will it take for Sony to make it happen. So, until then, you can make your device living a life of Android 5.0 Lollipop using custom ROMs, and just to have a start, this under development AOSP custom ROM is fair enough.
Wondering how you can update your device using this custom ROM? well, that’s what we are about to do in the on-going post. We will be installing Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP custom ROM on our beloved Sony Xperia Z. Let’s go through a list of what’s working and what’s not and then head towards the early preparations.
– Screen / touch
– RIL (incoming/outgoing + data)
– GPS (forgot a lib, extract attachment , push libgpsutils.so to /system/lib)
All bugs not known yet
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Unlock Bootloader.
Your device’s bootloader must be unlocked in order to flash this custom ROM. You can unlock it by using our Sony bootloader unlock guide.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP Custom ROM On Xperia Z
- Download the yugalollipop09-11.tar.gz [ROM.tar.zip] file.
- Extract the ROM.zip file to get boot.img, userdata.img and system.img files.
- Download Android ADB and Fastboot drivers, here’s our comprehensive guide for setting up ADB & Fastboot.
- Open the extracted ROM.zip and copy all the .img files.
- Now paste all the .img files file that you extracted from the zip folder in the fastboot folder that you downloaded from the guide linked above.
- Connect your Xperia Z in Fastboot mode with your PC now. To do so, turn it off completely, now connect it with your PC while keeping the Volume Up key pressed. As soon as your PC has detected your phone in Fastboot mode, a blue light will blink up in the notification LED.
- Assuming that you’ve already placed all the .img files in the fastboot folder, now open the fastboot folder again. Press shift and then Right click on any empty area inside the folder, now select “Open command prompt here“. flash the .img files using the commands
“fastboot flash boot boot.img”
“fastboot flash userdata userdata.img”
“fastboot flash system system.img”.
In case you are confused, follow the Android ADB & Fastboot drivers guide carefully.
- Once all files are flashed, unplug your Xperia Z.
- Reboot your device now and checkout Android 5.0 Lollipop working on it.
That’s all with the ROM installation. In case you’re stuck with anything or you’re facing any issues, feel free to drop your words in the comment box below. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017