Galaxy S2 Plus came out in the year 2013 as a sibling of the original Galaxy S2. Specifications of the Galaxy S2 plus were not much different from the original Galaxy S2. This device also sported a 4.3 inch 480 x 800 pixels touch screen. 8 MP camera at the back and a VGA camera for video calls on the front. 1 GB RAM and 8 GB internal storage were fixed on the-board. Samsung used Broadcom BC28155 Dual Core chipset on this device. Galaxy S2 Plus ran on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, and sadly, the device received only one update, and that too was to Android Jelly Bean, with a different version number i.e. 4.2.2.
Google has already pulled out Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Smartphone manufacturers are now busy cooking the Marshmallow update for their flagship devices. Samsung too is planning to update its devices to Marshmallow, but only the mainstream ones. Samsung usually forgets its old mid-range devices, and unfortunately Galaxy S2 Plus happens to be one of those unlucky devices. After Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, Samsung never rolled out any update for the S2 Plus. The device didn’t see any KitKat or Lollipop, we can’t even think of Marshmallow. Google Nexus 4 came in 2012, and the device received official Android Lollipop update, which disappointed the Galaxy S2 Plus users even more. Now the only way to update your Galaxy S2 Plus to any higher version of Android is through a custom ROM.
Luckily we have a lot of great developers who are working hard to keep these devices alive. CyanogenMod 12.1, which is the aftermarket version of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, is already available for our beloved Galaxy S2 Plus. Even if Samsung is keeping the users disappointed, CyanogenMod 12.1 by andixlm may bring a new life to your device. The good thing about the ROM we are talking about is, it doesn’t have any known issues so far. That means installing to for everyday use won’t cause any harm at all. In case you’ve just started wondering about how you will install this ROM on your Galaxy S2 Plus, you may stop doing so. In the succeeding guide we are going to update our beloved Galaxy S2 Plus I9105, I9105P to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CyanogenMod 12.1 custom ROM. Let’s go ahead now and get it done.
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105/P. Also make sure that your phone is running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model and firmware in Settings > About Devicel.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 2.8 recovery on your S2 Plus I9105/P.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop On Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus Using CM 12.1 Custom ROM
- Download CM 12.zip file according to your device
- Download Gapps.zip file for CM 12.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select cm12.1…….zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016
- Download and install official Pixel Launcher on Android [APK] - October 19, 2016
- Download Google Pixel Wallpaper App for Android [Wallpapers APK] - October 19, 2016