Despite the fact that no one likes a device with a Locked Bootloader, simply because most of the times or should I say all of times you need a device with unlocked bootloader for the Customizations, although in rare cases, a Custom Firmware can be installed on a device with Locked Bootloader. And even better, the device can also be rooted on a Locked bootloader and a Custom Recovery can also be installed on a Locked Bootloader device. In past we have seen such cases. CyanogenMod 12 is available for a lot of devices, although if the device is Unlocked, but now the tides have turned and Xperia SP has received the CM 12 ROM, on Locked Bootloader.
The whole Tutorial is made up of 3-Steps; First Root the device with Towel Root, then Install the CWM Recovery using the Install.bat and finally flash the ROM using the CWM Recovery. If you have already installed the Recovery then skip the first two steps and get ready to install the CyanogenMod 12 ROM. In this article, we will show you How to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Xperia SP Locked Bootloader. If you are interested in Other ROMs, you can Visit our Custom ROMs section or you can install this ROM on your Sony Xperia SP by following our tutorial below. This is not an official release from Sony but a Custom ROM. You need to install a Custom Recovery on your device to install this and also your device must be rooted. Let’s go through the ROM features and early preparations and then flash this ROM.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia SP!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. Incase of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
TowelRoot Apk: Link
CWM Recovery Pack: Link
CM 12 ROM: Link
How to Root Xperia SP:
- Download the TR Apk and copy it to your device.
- Use any file manager and install the app.
- After installation, open the app.
- Activate your internet connection if it is Off.
- Tap the make it rain button.
- Your device should be rooted after a reboot.
How to Install CWM Recovery:
- Download the CWM Package.
- Connect your device with PC.
- Extract the file to your computer and run the Install **** file according to your system.
- If there is any error during the Installation, Reboot your device and try one more time.
- After a Successful Process, your device will be running CWM Recovery
How to Install CyanogenMod 12:
- Connect your device with PC.
- Copy and Paste the Above zip files to the root of your sdcard.
- Open Recovery mode. How?
- Turn off Xperia SP
- While turning on, press volume up and down repeatedly to enter recovery mode
- Back-up your ROM using the Recovery.
- To Perform a Back-up, Navigate to Back-up and Restore on Next screen, Choose Back-up again.
- Go back to Main Screen after the Back-up is complete.
- Then Navigate to ‘advance’ and choose ‘Wipe Dalvik Cache’, so your device won’t get into any bootloop.
- Navigate to ‘Install zip from sd card’ another windows will open in front of you.
- Finally Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”
- Select ‘choose zip from sd card’ from the Options.
- Select the CyanogenMod 12.zip file and confirm the installation on next screen.
- Once the Installation is Over, Select +++++Go Back+++++
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
The first boot will take a little time, so please be patient
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016
- How to Install Android 6.0.1 Renegade ROM on Galaxy S6 Edge G925P - April 3, 2016