At&t’s Samsung Galaxy S2 aka Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 won’t be getting any higher version of Android and will stick to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for the rest of its life now. If you own this device and you’re tired with the same old Android Jelly Bean, you may look for an option to get a higher version of Android on your device. The only way is to use a custom ROM. Since there’s a number of custom ROMs available, you might get confused which one you should flash. In order to make this easy for you, we’ve picked up a ROM, CyanogenMod 11’s stable build by XDA recognized developer SultanXDA.
To install Android 4.4.4 KitKat on your At&t Galaxy S2 Skyrocket with CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM, you only need to follow these instructions carefully. Although this is a stable ROM but make sure that you are good with flashing custom ROMs and you’re capable of handling the mishaps that might occur during or after flashing a custom ROM. Let’s go through the ROM features and early preparations and then flash this ROM.
Here are some features of CyanogenMod 11 for Galaxy s2 Skyrocket:
Fully-functional camera and camcorder
Fixed available front-facing-camera camcorder resolutions (so it can record at higher resolutions)
Disabled LPA (as it isn’t functioning correctly on MSM8x60)
Enabled Qualcomm BSP (Board Support Package)
Enabled Qualcomm bionic optimizations
Uses CAF media HAL (media-caf)
USB mass storage mode (disabled by default; enable it in Settings -> Storage)
This is only for At&t Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
Flash a Custom Recovery
A custom recovery, whether a TWRP or CWM is required to flash this ROM. You may find Philz Advanced CWM recovery on our site, make sure that you flash this one using the instructions explained in the guide.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On At&t Galaxy S2 Skyrocket With CM 11 Custom ROM:
- Make sure that you’ve installed a custom recovery. There’s TWRP linked above.
- Download cm-11-20140821-UNOFFICIAL-skyrocket.zip file.
- Download pa_gapps-modular-micro-4.4.4-20140708-signed.zip file.
- Copy both the .zip files to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot into philz advanced CWM recovery mode on your phone now. To do so, turn if off completely first. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key. As soon as you see the screen turning on, leave the buttons and you should boot into the recovery mode.
- Once in recovery, perform and factory data reset and also wipe cache.
- Now select “Install Zip > Choose Zip from SDcard > locate the cm-11-20140821-UNOFFICIAL-skyrocket.zip file > Yes” and flash it.
- Once the ROM flashing is complete, once again select “Install Zip > Choose Zip from SDcard > locate the pa_gapps-modular-micro-4.4.4-20140708-signed.zip file > Yes” and flash it this time.
- Once flashed the Gapps, wipe cache and dalvik cache from the philz advanced cwm recovery and reboot your device.
- As soon as your device boots up, you will see the CyanogenMod 11 Android 4.4.4. KitKat ROM.
- First boot may take up to 10 minutes, hold on tight till it boots up completely.
- That’s all. Enjoy KitKat on your device now.
That’s all. Just in case you need any help regarding this post, make sure that you drop your query in the comment box below. We surely will get back to you immediately.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Nicki Minaj The Empire for Windows PC and Mac - December 8, 2016
- Download Nicki Minaj The Empire APK - December 8, 2016
- Download Trusted Contacts APK - December 7, 2016