Galaxy S II Sky Rocket is currently running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and there is no word about its further updates by Samsung. Thanks to the developers over XDA who are best known for always bringing up the best stuff for our beloved Android smartphones. Android 4.4. KitKat based CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM for Galaxy S2 Sky Rocket is available now. A good choice for those who always like to get their hands on the latest and greatest version of Android using custom ROMs while its not available officially.
Well, CyanogenMod, the most popular custom ROM community is the aftermarket firmware distributor for Android that focuses on improving the stability and performance of the Android devices. In the following write up I’ve explained the method to install the Android 4.4 KitKat CyanogenMod 11 on Galaxy S II Sky Rocket by At&t and Rogers in simple and easy steps. Please keep in mind that this ROM is not for every day use, flash it only if you are familiar with Custom ROMs and if you know what you are actually doing. You just got to follow this guide to the letter.
Here are some pre requisites and pre cautions before we begin the flashing process…
Here are some pre requisites and pre cautions, that you need to have before installing this ROM.
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S2 Sky Rocket. Do not try this on any other device. Check your device’s model in Settings>About Device.
- You must have rooted your phone and have installed CWM recovery. Follow our full guide here to do so.
- Make sure that you backup your current ROM using the Backup option in the custom recovery.
- Make sure that you make EFS backup of your device as well.
- If you’ve rooted your phone, use titanium backup and backup all your applications with data and system data. This is useful in case you wipe your phone and want to restore each and everything exactly as it was before wiping.
- Make sure that you’ve backed up all your important media content, contacts, call logs and text messages. This is highly recommended in case you need to wipe your phone during the installation process or something goes wrong.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any mishap during the flashing process.
- Alright! Once again, I insist that follow this guide to the letter in order to prevent any mishap.
How to Install Android 4.4 CM 11 Custom ROM on Galaxy S II Sky Rocket:
Install a Compatible Radio first:
- Download Radio for AT&T (Skyrocket) SGH-I727: UCMC1
- Radio for Rogers (Skyrocket) SGH-I727R: UXUMA7
- Place the downloaded Radio file on your device’s sd card.
- Boot into CWM recovery.
- Select “Install>choose zip from sd/ext sd card>select the radio.zip file”.
- Flash the file.
How to Flash the ROM:
- Download ROM CM 11.0 Android 4.4 KitKat
- Download Android 4.4 KitKat comaptible Gapps.zip file.
- Place the downloaded ROM.zip and Gapps.zip file on your phone’s sd card.
- Boot into custom recovery. To do so, turn off your device completely. Now press and hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key, you should see the CWM recovery. Do not use any other recovery except the one we linked above.
- In CWM recovery wipe data-cache-dalvik cache.
- Now in CWM recovery select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd/Ext Sdcard>Select the ROM.zip file”.
- Select “Yes” and let the installation proceed. It will finish in a while.
- Now Once again in CWM recovery select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd/Ext Sdcard>Select the Gapps.zip file”. It should flash Gapps in a few seconds.
- As soon as the installation is completed reboot your device.
- Phewww! You’ve successfully installed Android 4.4 KitKat CM 11.0 Alpha ROM on your Galaxy S II Sky Rocket.
- In case you are stucked on the boot screen, boot into cwm and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot.
That’s all. In case you got any queries or face any difficulties regarding the method explained above, feel free to stop by the comment box below. We will try our best to help you out.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017