Sony has planned the Android 4.4 KitKat upgrade for its previous flagship device Xperia Z that may be available anytime soon, mean while Sony is busy making the update the developers over XDA have already cooked a custom Android 4.4 KitKat ROM based on unofficial CynogenMod 11. Those who can’t wait for the official KitKat update and want to taste the latest and greatest version of Android before it comes it, the Android 4.4 KitKat CM 11 based custom ROM is there now, install it and check out what the KitKat has to offer.
So, if you are looking out how you can get this custom ROM running on your device, then here is the tutorial for you, before we actually proceed, please keep in mind that custom roms/nightlies are meant to be for those only who like to play with their device and always keep tinkering their phone with new operating systems. These ROMs may not be kept for every day use as these contain a lot of bugs until there is a stable build out there, so it is highly recommended not to mess with these if you are a noob or if you don’t know much about the custom ROMs. Follow this guide to the letter in order to prevent any mishap.
What you need to do before flashing this ROM:
This ROM is only for Sony Xperia Z. Do not try this on any other smartphone.
- Your phone’s bootloader must be unlocked. Unlock it here.
- Your phone must be rooted and have the latest TWRP recovery installed. Follow the complete guide here to root and install TWRP. Root Sony Xperia Z | Install TWRP Recover on Sony Xperia Z.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Do not forget to backup your current ROM/System using the TWRP recovery. This is highly recommended in case the new custom ROM does not satisfy you and contains a lot of bugs, you can immediately go back to your previous system using the Restore option in the TWRP recovery.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, contacts, call logs and text messages. This is highly recommended as you will have to wipe your phone before flashing this rom for clean installation.
- After backing up all the important stuff, boot intoTWRP recovery use the wipe options and wipe data-cache-dalvik cache. This is highly recommended to achieve the best installation results and best ROM functionality.
- Alright! Once again I insist that follow this guide to letter!
Install Android 4.4 KitKat CM 11 Custom ROM on Xperia Z:
- Download unofficial CM 11 Android 4.4 KitKat ROM.
- Download pa_gapps-full .zip file.
- Place both the downloaded files on your phone’s sd card.
- Boot into TWRP Recovery, to do so, turn off your phone and then turn it on, while it boots quickly press the volume up and down keys simultaneously, your phone should boot into TWRP Recovery.
- Select “Install>select the unofficial CM 11 ROM.zip file” and proceed the installation process.
- After the ROM installation completes, once again select “Install>choose the placed gapps.zip file” and proceed.
- After installed both the files, Reboot.
- You should see the CM 11 logo on the boot screen now.
- Congrats! You’ve successfully installed the Android 4.4 KitKat based on unofficial CyanogenMod 11 custom ROM.
In case your device is stucked on the boot logo, boot into the TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache using the wipe option, after that reboot your device and it should successfully boot you into the home screen. Please keep in mind that the phone may take up to 10 minutes to boot into the home screen.
That’s all for now, in case you face any difficulties or have any queries, feel free to stop by the comment box. We will try our best to help you out. Thanks!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017
- Download Yu Gi Oh Duel Links for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017