Sony stopped Xperia T’s Android updates on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and since then there hasn’t been any official word by Sony whether it will update it’s device to any further version of Android or not. Google is all set to launch Android L and since most of the high end devices are running on Android 4.4.4 KitKat, this definitely leaves the Xperia T owners in a little bit of disappointment for not having the latest Android version running on their device.
In this case, the only solution is to get a great custom ROM and give your device a new life. This job for Xperia T has been done by XDA senior member Alx31TLse who brought us up Android 4.4.4 KitKat based on Carbon ROM, a very popular and one of the most widely used Android custom ROM by Team Carbon. This ROM is available for many Android devices. In the succeeding post we are going to install this Android 4.4.4 KitKat with Carbon ROM on our beloved Sony Xperia T. In case you’ve been looking to update your device, you may have spotted the right place. Let’s go through the early preparations and then flash this ROM.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia T!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Unlock Bootloader.
Your device’s bootloader must be unlocked in order to flash this custom ROM. You can unlock it by using our Sony bootloader unlock guide.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On Sony Xperia T:
- Download the CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL_Mint_build14.zip [ROM.zip] file.
- Download Google Gapps.zip for Android 4.4.4 KitKat Custom ROM.
- Place the ROM.zip file and Gapps.zip file on your phone’s internal or external sd card.
- Download Android ADB and Fastboot drivers, follow our full guide here to make it easy.
- Open the downloaded ROM.zip on your PC and extract the Boot.img file only.
- Now place the kernel file that is boot.img file that you extracted from the zip folder in the fastboot folder that you downloaded from the guide linked above.
- After placing the kernel file in the fastboot folder, open the fastboot folder. Press shift and then Right click on any empty area inside the folder, now select “Open command prompt here“. flash it using the command
“fastboot flash boot boot.img”. In case you are confused, follow the Android ADB & Fastboot drivers guide carefully.
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do so, turn off your device, now turn it on and quickly press volume up key, you will get the CWM interface.
- In CWM wipe the factory data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Select the ROM.zip file that your placed on your phone’s Sd card.
- It should take a few mins to flash the ROM, now once again select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Choose the Gapps.zip file this time and flash it.
- As soon as done flashing, clear cache and dalvik cache again.
- Reboot system now, you should see the Carbon ROM logo on the boot screen now, it may take upto 10 minutes in order to boot into home screen.
- Congrats! Enjoy unofficial Android 4.4.4 KitKat custom ROM on your Sony Xperia T now.
That’s all with the ROM installation. In case you’re stuck with anything or you’re facing any issues, feel free to drop your words in the comment box below. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Nicki Minaj The Empire for Windows PC and Mac - December 8, 2016
- Download Nicki Minaj The Empire APK - December 8, 2016
- Download Trusted Contacts APK - December 7, 2016