Carbon ROM is a quite popular and one of the great custom ROMs available for the Android devices. Carbon ROM is now available for our beloved Galaxy S4 Mini based on the Android 4.4.4 KitKat, that Google rolled out a few days back. While Samsung hasn’t shown any intentions to update the Galaxy S4 Mini to any further version of Android, and it is stuck at Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, using Carbon ROM might prove out to be a good chance to get your device a KitKat.
Those of you looking for a method to get this custom ROM running on your Galaxy S4 Mini have might have spotted the right place as in the following post we will be install Android 4.4.4 KitKat on Galaxy S4 Mini I9190/I9195 using the Carbon Custom ROM. You may only flash this ROM if you’re actually familiar with the custom Android OS and you know how to deal with these ROMs. These firmwares may not be kept for everyday use as there’s a high chance of bugs. To get it installed successfully, follow this guide carefully.
Here are the early preparations:
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190/I9195. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data. Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
How To Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat on Galaxy S4 Mini I9190/I9195 with Carbon ROM
- Download ROM.zip file for your variant
- For GT-I9190: CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20140620-1219-serrano3gxx.zip
- For GT-I9195: CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20140620-1357-serranoltexx.zip
- Download Gapps.zip file for CM 11.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20140620-1219-serranoxxxx.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 4.4.4 KitKat Carbon ROM running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
In case you got any issues or you face any difficulties regarding this post, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Latest Odin 3.12.4/Odin 3.12.5 for Samsung - April 27, 2017
- How to Install TWRP Recovery using Fastboot on Android - April 27, 2017
- How to Sync Contacts with Gmail Account on Android - April 27, 2017