Samsung’s very first Mini device, the S3 Mini is a widely used and one of the best budget Android devices available around the world, but Samsung hasn’t been much serious on the software end and has stopped the device’s updates on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Samsung might have forgotten the device, but the great developers haven’t yet. There’s a number of custom ROMs available that can help you to update your Galaxy S3 Mini to the latest Android OS, but sometimes the best is yet to come.
Google has recently rolled out Android 4.4.4 KitKat and is currently updating its Nexus devices, on the other hand Sony has started updating its Xperia devices to the latest KitKat firmware as well, this may disappoint the Galaxy S3 Mini users who cannot expect any further updates from Samsung, but XDA Developer NovaFusion seems to wipe these clouds of disappointment as he has brought up the famous Carbon ROM based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat for the Galaxy S3 Mini. Although its a custom ROM, but its stable and maybe kept for everyday use on your Mini S3. Before you start wondering how you can get this custom ROM running on your Android device, you may scroll down and find out the complete guide to install Android 4.4.4 KitKat on Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190/N/L using Carbon custom ROM. To get it done successfully, you need to follow the instructions carefully.
Here are the early preparations:
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190/N/L. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data. Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
How To Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Using Carbon ROM:
- Download carbon4.4_golden.nova.20140628.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip file for CM 11.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the both the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select carbon4.4_golden.nova.20140628.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 4.4.4 KitKat Carbon ROM running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
In case you got any issues or you face any difficulties regarding this post, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you all.