It’s been 2 months now since Sony has pulled the curtains off from its latest flagship Xperia Z1, While Google already announced the Android 4.4 KitKat, it was expected that Xperia Z1 will at least run on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, perhaps keeping the 4.3 aside, Sony pushed in 4.2.2 and 4.3 update was to roll out soon. Sony has already announced its plan for Android 4.4 KitKat, while still no 4.3 update was available, and finally Sony has rolled out 4.3 update today, chances are that 4.4 KitKat will be following it very soon.
A while ago I updated by Xperia Z1 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and thought why not to share with you guys right here. In the following post, I’ve explained the method to installed the latest firmware based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with the build number 14.2.A.0.290 on Sony Xperia Z1 C6903. You just got to follow this guide to the letter, but before we begin let’s have a look on what’s new in this update.
- New Xperia Themes
- Camera App enhanced.
- New Ringtones.
- Black Notification Drawer
- New Baseband with improved WiFi.
- Stability and performance improvements.
Pre-requisites and Pre-cautions:
- This method is only for Sony Xperia Z1 C6903. Do not try this on any other device, check your device’s model in Settings > About Device.
- You need to have installed Sony Flashtool, Flashtool drivers, and Sony Drivers. Follow the full Flashtool Guide here.
- Make sure that you’ve backed up all your important media content, contacts, call logs and text messages. This is highly recommended in case you need to wipe your phone during the installation process or something goes wrong.
- Make sure that you enable USB debugging options before connecting your device. In case you can’t find the developer options in settings, then you’ll have to enable them. To do so, open Settings > About device > tap build number for 7 times and you should have enabled the developer options in settings. Now enable USB debugging mode under dev options.
- If you have already rooted your phone, it is highly recommended that you use the Titanium Backup to backup all your data so that in case you have to wipe your phone, you can still restore each and everything.
- Use only OEM data cable to connect your device to your PC in order to prevent any connection issues.
- You do not need root access for flashing this firmware, neither you need a custom recovery.
For other Xperia Z1 variants, Check out:
- Update Sony Xperia Z1 C6902 to Latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 14.2.A.0.290 Firmware
- How to Update Sony Xperia Z1 C6943 to Latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 14.2.A.0.290 Firmware
- Update Sony Xperia Z1 C6906 to Latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 14.2.A.0.290 Firmware
How to Install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Xperia Z1 C9603:
- Download the latest firmware Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 14.2.A.0.290. Please download the firmware carefully.
- In case you are confused between which firmware to download, download a Generic/Unbranded firmware if your phone is not a carier branded, download a branded firmware only if your phone is carier/variant specified.
- After you install the Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it..
- Place the downloaded firmware.ftf file in Firmware folder under Flashtool folder.
- Open Drivers folder under the Flashtool, and run the Flashtool-drivers and install Flashtool, Fastboot and drivers from Xperia Z1 from the list.
- Now run the Flashtool.
- In Flashtool, click on the small lightening button, and select Flashmode.
- Select the ftf file that you downloaded and placed under the Firmwares folder in Flashtool.
- From the right side, select/unselect the options to wipe cache, data and apps log.
- As soon as you select the firmware, it will start preparing the files for flashing.
- As soon as the preparation is done, it will prompt you to turn off your phone and then connect it keeping the back key pressed.
- For Xperia Z1, Volume Down key will do the job of back key. Turn off your phone completely, now press the Volume Down key and while keeping it pressed plug in the data cable.
- As soon as data cable is plugged in, Flashtool will start flashing the firmware and will complete it in a while. Do not leave the Volume Down key until the flashing process is done.
- As soon as its completed, plug out the cable.
- Phewwww! That’s It. You have the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean installed on your Xperia Z1! Enjoy!
In case you got any queries / suggestions or you face any difficulties regarding this post, please feel free to stop by the comment box below. Thanks All.