Better late than never. Samsung has finally broken the barrier of silence and rolled out the much awaited Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for two of its device, the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge. The update first hit the South Korean variants of the devices, which are known as G920S and G925S respectively. Samsung started seeding out this update through OTA and through Samsung Kies. The update has hit the South Korean region only now, so if you own a Galaxy S6 Edge G925S under the South Korean region, only then you’re going to be able to update it through OTA or through Samsung Kies. Users who own the Galaxy S6 Edge G925S and live outside the South Korea, they can update this device to Android Marshmallow using an alternative method. Since Samsung has already made the users wait for months, it won’t be a good idea to wait for the update to land in the device on its own, it will be worth updating the device manually right away.
The method to update Galaxy S6 Edge G925S to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official firmware manually is the Odin3 method. We will be using this flashtool Odin3 to update our beloved Galaxy S6 Edge to Marshmallow. The update is completely official and untouched. It doesn’t involve any risky processes and doesn’t even void the warranty of your device. All you’ve to do is to download the file properly and follow the instructions carefully.
To know what’s new in this update, you may checkout this news that came out a while ago. We can go ahead now and follow the process to update Galaxy S6 Edge G925S to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official firmware.
1. This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge G925S
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up. In that case, we may not be held responsible.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery should not be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM data cable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. Also, clean install is always recommended, that means you will probably have to wipe your device to install the new firmware. So, you may backup everything as listed below.
5. Install Samsung USB drivers
In order to be able to establish connection between your PC and your Galaxy S6 Edge, you need to have the Samsung USB drivers installed on your PC. You can find all Android USB drivers here on our site.
6. Turn off Samsung Kies and other softwares while using Odin3!
Make sure that you turn off Samsung Kies while using Odin3 flashtool. Samsung Kies will interrupt Odin3 and will result in causing errors and may not let you flash your desired firwmrae. Also, make sure that you turn off any antivirus software you’ve installed and also disable firewall to avoid any connection and flashing issues.
Required Downloads & Installations
- Model: SM-G925S – Galaxy S6 Edge
- Country: Korea (SK Telecom)
- Version: Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- Changelist: 7037264
- PDA: G920SKU3DPAC
- CSC: G920SSK3DPAC
- Build Date: January 22, 2016.
How To Update Galaxy S6 Edge G925S To Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Official
- Make sure that you read the instructions listed above carefully and you’re all set to go ahead now.
- Wipe your device complete in order to attain a neat installation. You may boot into the recovery mode and perform a factory data reset.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Galaxy S6 Edge in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 or 3.10.6 hit the AP tab. Select the firmware.tar.md5 or firmware.tar, that you downloaded and extracted above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the firmware flashing is complete, The flashing process box will turn green upon successful flashing.
- Once the flashing process has been completed successfully, disconnect your device and reboot it manually.
- Once the device boots up, checkout the new firmware now.
- Your device will be running on official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Official firmware.
- Once updated to stock, do not try to downgrade, or else you will result in messing up EFS partition of your device.
- That’s all!
Got any queries? Make sure that you drop em’ in the comment box below. Good Luck!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Asphalt Xtreme for PC (Windows and Mac) - October 28, 2016
- How to install Android 7.0 Nougat on Galaxy S5 via CyanogenMod 14 - October 27, 2016
- Download Facebook Lifestage for PC - October 27, 2016