Zenfone 5 is Asus’s 2014 flagship device. In a world of tough competition where Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC, Sony and Google are each other’s strongest rivals, the Zenfone 5 helped Asus to get some spotlight and earn it some users. Asus’s Zenfone flaunts a beautiful 5.0-inch display with 294 ppi. This display has a gorilla glass 3 corning. On board we have an Intel Atom Z2580 dual core CPU clocked at 2 GHz. A 2 GB RAM is placed on the board while the internal storage is 8/16/32 GB. Zenfone 5 has a microSD card slot as well which supports up to 64 GB. On the front there’s a 2 MP shooter and an 8 MP shooter is fixed at the back. Under the hood we have a 2110 mAh battery.
Asus Zenfone 5 ran Android 4.3 JellyBean out of the box. Since Zenfone 5 is Asus’s last year flagship, So Asus didn’t probably want to disappoint the users and promised some greatest versions of Android to roll out for this device. Asus rolled out Android KitKat for the device and now that the Lollipop sweetness has taken all over, its time for Asus Zenfone 5 owners to taste it as well. Asus has rolled out Android 5.0 Lollipop update for the Zenfone 5 T00F, T00J and WW variants. The update build version is v126.96.36.199. In case you’re unaware of the changes this update brings, you may want to know that Android Lollipop carries a completely new UI named as Google’s Material Design. There are new notification cards on the lockscreen. New user and guest modes are there. Battery life and performance enhancements are also a part of this major Android update. There’s a lot more in this firmware that you may come across once you’ve installed the latest Android version on your Zenfone 5.
Asus has rolled out this update through OTA, but since these are phased updates, it might take sometime for it to hit your region. In case you haven’t received the update yet, you may want to force-update your Zenfone 5 to Lollipop using a manual method. If that’s the case with you, you may have spotted the right place at the moment. As we move further, we will update our beloved Asus Zenfone 5 T00F, T00J to Android 5.0 Lollipop official update carrying the version number v188.8.131.52. This update will be done by flashing the update’s zip file through the stock recovery of this phone. Let’s learn some early preparations and the install the firmware.
- This guide is only for Asus Zenfone 5 A500CG (T00F) WW, A501CG(T00J) WW. Do not try this on any other device. Check your device’s model number in your phone’s settings > about device.
- Your device must be running the firmware v184.108.40.206. Check the firmware under settings > about device.
- Backup all of your important data prior to the installation of this firmware. This is highly recommended in case you’ve to go through a factory reset, you will still have your data safe and sound. Backup your contacts, call logs, sms messages and copy your media content to your computer.
- Charge your phone up to 50%. This is important in order to avoid any power issue during the flashing process.
Note: This is an official firmware and it will not void the warranty of your phone nor it will harm it in any way. Please follow all the instructions carefully in order to get it done successfully.
If not on .52 firmware already:
If you’re not already on the v220.127.116.11 firmware, then download this v18.104.22.168 from here and flash it using the guide below. After you’ve flashed this, you can flash the v22.214.171.124 firmware using the same guide.
Upgrading form KitKat to Lollipop:
If your device is on Android KitKat yet then you need to make sure that first of all you install the firmware 126.96.36.199.
Just download the 188.8.131.52 firmware and flash it using the same guide below, after this flash the firmware v184.108.40.206 and then finally flash the firmware v220.127.116.11. That’s all.
How To Update Asus Zenfone 5 To Android Lollipop v18.104.22.168
- Download Android 5.0 Lollipop update .zip file for Asus Zenfone 5 from here: ASUS_T00F-WW-22.214.171.124-user.zip.
- Connect your Zenfone 5 to your PC.
- Copy the downloaded .zip file to the internal storage of your device. Do not copy it inside a sub folder, copy it on the root of your internal storage.
- Disconnect your Zenfone 5 from your PC.
- Now press and hold the power button your phone to get the restart option. Once you get it, restart your device.
- As the phone boots up, it will show you a notification pointing towards an available update. Pull down the notification bar and tap the update notification.
- Now it will show you a message “Select Update Package”. Select the file that you just copied and tap “Ok”.
- The phone will now enter the recovery mode to install the firmware. Just sit back and wait for it to finish the installation and boot up normally. Once done, you will have Android Lollipop installed on your Zenfone 5. That’s all.
SuperNote: change to link-downloading version
Asuswebstorage: change to link-downloading version
Remote Link: change to link-downloading version
Lockscreen: remove standalone wallpaper & weather info (only for 1GB RAM device)
Quick settings/Recent app layout change (only for 1GB RAM device)
Dialer/Contacts: reduce tab count from 5 to 3; remove group tab name/photo; remove foreground service (only for 1GB RAM device)
InCall screen: remove inCall animation & cover (only for 1GB RAM device)
Fix the problem of losing some files after changing the folder name in File Manager
Add KKBOX (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
Add Dr. eye (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
Add Zinio (link-downloading)
Add PubuBookBuffet (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
Add eReadingNow (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
Add ASUS Game Center (link-downloading) (Taiwan only)
Offer hot and highly qualified games picked by a team of gaming experts
Offer event privileges and goodies of virtual treasures
Support membership with ASUS, Facebook and Google+ accounts to log in
Offer VIP services: 24/7 online customer service
Support purchase history to overview for games downloaded from ASUS Game Center
In case you’re stuck with something, reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017