Google has recently unveiled its latest and sweetest update to Android Lollipop! Android 5.1 is now out for the Stock Android devices, like the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9. But if you happen to be one of the million people who own the Nexus 5, and don’t want to wait another day or two for the update, then this guide is specifically made for you! In this guide, we are going to have a look at how to Update your Nexus 5 to Android 5.1 Lollipop.
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Google in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
- Make sure your Nexus 5 has a unlocked bootloader.
- Download and extract the ADB Tools. Click here to download.
- Download Android 5.1 Factory Image by clicking here. UnZIP and copy it to the ADB folder too.
- Enable USB Debugging from the Settings.
- Make sure you have all the essential ADB and Nexus 5 drivers installed on your PC.
- Backup everything that is important, as this is going to wipe off every single bit of data from your Nexus 5!
- Make sure your Nexus 5 is charged atleast upto 60% to avoid any interruptions in between the process!
How To Update Nexus 5 To Android 5.1 Lollipop
- Switch off your Nexus 5.
- Boot into the fastboot mode, which can be accessed by holding down the Power and Volume Down keys at the same time.
- Connect your Nexus 5 to your PC.
- Open the folder where you have the firmware and all the ADB files extracted.
- Open the flash-all.bat file, and wait for a while!
- After the process is done, unplug your Nexus 5, and reboot.
Great! You’ve successfully installed Android 5.1 Lollipop on your Google Nexus 5! If you have any questions regarding this post, feel free to leave a comment below!
Current Devices : OnePlus One, Samsung Galaxy S2, Micromax Canvas HD, Samsung Galaxy Ace
Latest posts by Adnan Ahmed (see all)
- How To Install Android 7.0 Nougat On Google Nexus Devices - August 23, 2016
- 6 best things about Android 7.0 Nougat - August 23, 2016
- Here’s the best Tech you can get under 1 Dollar - July 3, 2016