Almost a year ago, Google though to disclose the support of Galaxy Nexus, and stated that this device won’t be getting the Official Android 4.4 Kit-Kat update. The device however, still has a decent set of Hardware imprinted in it, and has the capability to run the Android 4.4 Kit-Kat, in terms of Hardware only. At the time of Kit-Kat release, the company stated that this version of Android will increase the Optimization and decrease the Hardware requirement, thus giving the old devices to get a taste without much problem. However, the case was different with Galaxy Nexus, while many were upset with this, some quickly saw that the main reason behind this problem is the outdated Drivers for the Chipset ported the Galaxy Nexus.
While there are a lot of Custom ROMs available, who runs perfect on Galaxy Nexus, still no official support was there till now. As we are on the Brink of a whole new version of Android, another breakthrough has occurred in the life of Galaxy Nexus. In July 2014, XDA senior member ,Ziyan, updated the Kernel of his Galaxy Nexus thus making it run the New GPU drivers, Now another member of XDA,MWisBest, has done it again and even gave the Camera app to try these new Drivers. Now Galaxy Nexus, not only gains the new and updated drives, but also the ability to be updated to Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat and even Android L in coming months. The Drivers are contained in a ROM and we are here to show you how to install it. However,If you are interested in Other ROMs, you can Visit our Custom ROMs section or you can install this ROM on your Galaxy Nexus (GSM) by following our tutorial below. This is not an official release from Google but a Custom ROM, you need to install a Custom Recovery on your device to install this and also your device must be rooted.Let’s go through the ROM features and early preparations and then flash this ROM.
1. This is only for Galaxy Nexus (GSM)!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Flash a Custom Recovery
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Google in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. Incase of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat OmniROM + Modified TWRP Recovery: Link
How To Install This ROM.
- Connect your device with PC.
- Copy and Paste the Above zip files to the root of your sdcard.
- Disconnect the cable.
- Turn Off your Device
- Open Bootloader mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons until you see some text on screen.
- Highlight Recovery In Bootloader, and Press Power Button To Select it
CWM/PhilZ Touch Recovery Users.
- Back-up your ROM using the Recovery.
- To Perform a Back-up, Navigate to Back-up and Restore on Next screen, Choose Back-up again.
- Go back to Main Screen after the Back-up is complete.
- Then Navigate to ‘advance’ and choose ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’, so you won’t get in any bootloop.
- Then Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Navigate to ‘Install zip from sd card’ another windows will open in front of you.
- Select ‘choose zip from sd card’ from the Options.
- Select the OmniROM.zip file and confirm the installation on next screen.
- Then choose whatever you like from the Options and Continue
- Once the Installation is Over, Select +++++Go Back+++++
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
- Tap On Back-Up and Select System and Data
- Swipe the Confirmation Slider
- Tap on Wipe Button and Select Cache, System, Data.
- Swipe the Confirmation Slider.
- Go back to Main Menu and Tap Install Button.
- Locate the OmniROM.zip, Swipe the Slider To install it.
- Once the Installation is Over, you will be promoted to Reboot System Now
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
Flash the Modified TWRP Recovery:
- Download recovery from above and rename it to recovery.
- Copy the recovery to fastboot folder.
- Open Bootloader/Fastboot mode. How? Connect your device with PC and open Command prompt in fastboot folder,How? Hold Shift Key and Right Click anywhere in the Fastboot folder
- Now Type: adb reboot bootloader
- Once in Bootloader, type in the following command: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img Press Enter.
- Then type in the following command: fastboot reboot.
- That is it.
Solve Signature Verification Error:
- Open Recovery.
- Navigate to install zip from Sdcard
- Navigate to Toggle Signature Verification and Press Power Button and See if it is disabled or not. Disable it and then Install the Zip without any Error.
First Boot might take up-to 5-minutes, so let your device rest for 5-minutes as you do something else.
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Download Clash Of Clans .Apk For Free - March 31, 2017
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016