Have you rooted your Samsung Galaxy S4 and modified it? or installed a custom rom? and now looking for a way to get rid of the root access and get back to the Factory state / stock firmware? Well, sometimes the root access becomes a pain in vein, specially when you have flashed mods or custom roms along with the root access and you want to get rid of it as soon as you can. Following the need, We will be having a look on how we can unroot the Samung Galaxy S4 and get back to the factory state. You just need to follow the steps explained below to the letter.
To unroot your Samsung Galaxy S4, you need to flash a stock firmware / rom on your phone, this will unroot and remove all the junk from your phone as you will remove the factory data after completing the flashing process. So before we begin, you need to backup all the important data placed on your phone’s internal storage, contacts, call logs and messages. Also make sure that you have battery charged over at least 60%.
- Check your device’s model in Settings > General > About Device > Model.
- Download the latest stock firmware for your Galaxy S4 from HERE.
- Make sure that you download the firmware for your device, according the model number properly.
- Unzip the downloaded file, it should be an MD5 file the format should be .tar.md5.
- Open Odin.
- Put your device in download mode. In order to do so press and hold Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously until you see the warning to continue. Press Volume Up to continue.
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box on the top Right corner should turn blue or yellow depending upon your Odin version.
- Select the PDA tab and give it the extracted / unzipped file, that is in .tar.md5 format. Make sure that only Aut0 Reboot and F. Reset Time are selected in Odin and all others are unchecked.
- Hit start. It will take a few minutes while the process gets completed.
- As soon as your device restarts, disconnect it from the PC, turn it off by pulling out the battery and wait for 30 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key, it should boot into the recovery mode now.
- Wipe / Reset Factory Data and Cache in recovery and restart.
- Phewwww! That’s all. You’ve successfully unrooted your Samsung Galaxy S4 and its in the factory state now.
Please keep in mind that flashing a stock firmware following the above method will not get your device’s warranty back as it does not erase the binary counter. It is possible to gain the warranty back on Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using Tirangle Away app, but the app doesn’t work on other variants due to the restrictions by Samsung. The method explained above is basically for unrooting your phone and getting it back to the factory state (as it comes out of the box).
We hope that the above method helped you. In case you face any problems, feel free to write us. We will try our best to help you out. Thank You!